Looking for a book to read, help?

I've been wanting to do some reading, but I can't seem to find a good book I could get into.

I'd prefer fantasy books or even sci fi. I have read the Harry Potter series and the Hunger Games.

Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

You could also try Graceling by Kristen Cashore.

Here's a description (I hand typed it because I couldn't find it online, so any typo's are mine. Without further ado, the description:

His eyes. Kasta had never seen such eyes. One was silver and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn’t shown in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn’t seem human…

Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell. Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join he would be disappointed.

In a world where people born with an extreme skill --- called a grace --- are feared and exploited, Kasta carries the burden of a grace that even she despises: the grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

....................................

Additionally, another fantastic read is Shatterglass, by Tamora Pierce. It's like a fantasy murder mystery, it's amazingly well written, it really pulls you in and holds you there:

Kethlun Warder was a gifted glassmaker until his world was shattered in a freak accident. Now his remaining glass-magic is mixed with lightning, and Tris (a spunky student weather-mage) must teach him to control it (if she can teach him to control his temper first). But there's more at stake than Keth's education. With his strange magic, he creates glass balls which reflect the immediate past and expose the work of a murderer. If he can harness his power properly, he'll be able to see the crimes as they take place. Keth and Tris race against time and the local authorities to catch a murderer who's hiding in plain sight.

………………………………

Another great book is Poison Study by Maria Snyder. I couldn't find a better description, but trust me, it's good! It has some mature stuff though, just a warning. I mean seriously mature stuff, I wouldn't suggest you take it on unless you're 18, otherwise you should probably wait. (Though it has some tough stuff, it's worth the read eventually.)

Here is a description:

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear! A romance blossoms, a power grows, and villians plot. Will Yelena be able to save her friends, and herself?

………………………………..

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Starts a little slow but gets amazing pretty quickly:

My name is Kvothe. I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day.

You may have heard of me.

so begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

…………………………………..

I hope I helped, but if you don't like the sound of any of those then try this:

These links take the guess work out of choosing a book; they will match you and your preferences to a book that covers what you like to read about.

Enter a book you like and the site will analyse its database of real readers' favourite books (over 32,000 and growing) to suggest what you could read next.

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

http://tastekid.com/

http://goodreads.com/

http://www.gnod.net/

http://www.allconsuming.net/

Good luck finding a book, and happy reading!

…………………………………………….

Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan

The Traitor Spy Trilogy - Trudi Canavan

Age of Five - Trudi Canavan

The Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini

The Mortal Instruments Series - Cassandra Clare

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

All Souls Trilogy - Deborah Harkness

A Song of Ice and Fire - George R R Martin

The Trylle Trilogy - Amanda Hocking

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Sepulchre - Kate Mosse

Hope you like some of these :)

The Iron King – Julie Kagawa

Lockdown – Alexander Gordon Smith

Sisters Red – Jackson Pearce

The Replacement – Brenna Yovanoff

The Demon’s Lexicon – Sarah Rees Brennan

White Cat – Holly Black

Blood Magic – Tessa Gratton

Wildefire – Karsten Knight

Anna Dressed in Blood – Kendare Blake

Divergent – Veronica Roth

Enclave - Ann Aguirre

Noughts and Crosses – Malorie Blackman

Inkheart – Cornelia Funke

The Splendour-Falls – Rosemary Clement-Moore

Skulduggery Pleasant – Derek Landy

Cirque Du Freak – Darren Shan

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief – Rick Riordan

Hope you enjoy :)

• girl

Not preferred list genre, but try the foll authors-

Clive Cussler

David Caldacci

Steve Berry

All of them and awesome adventure authors and has the same capacity to take you to a completely different work in an instant.

Have you tried Lord of the Rings? Along with Harry Potter, one of my fav. fantasy books.

• reny

you're getting dissimilar solid strategies. i like your question however, so i bypass to throw out some greater. A Canticle for Leibowitz ~ Walter M. Miller The Handmaid's tale (and others) ~ Margaret Atwood the celebs My holiday spot ~ Alfred Bester each and every of the Kings men ~ Robert Penn Warren the united statesA. Trilogy ~ John Dos Passos Babbitt ~ Sinclair Lewis sooner or later interior the existence of Ivan Denisovich ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn Atlas Shrugged ~ Ayn Rand A Bonfire of the Vanities ~ Tom Wolfe sadly Babylon ~ Pat Frank Triumph ~ John Kenneth Galbraith The Mouse That Roared ~ Leonard Wibberley yet another Roadside charm ~ Tom Robbins For Whom the Bell Tolls ~ Ernest Hemingway In chilly Blood ~ Truman Capote Bury My coronary heart at Wounded Knee ~ Dee Brown this would appear as if an exceedingly random record in spite of the undeniable fact that it extremely is not. i think of you will discover plenty right here to pastime you. solid success such as your seek.

• ?

The Maze Runner.

The scorch Trials.

The Death Cure.

The Kill Order.

By James Dashner <3

Eragon series

the wheel of time series(very good but very long about 12 books)

Herald of valdemar series

Try Over the Mountain and Back by Marie Astor:

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Mountain-Back-Adventure...

i absolutley love those series!!

try

the lord of the rings or the hobbit - they have the same adventure themes

i'm going to be sad and say twilight but u did say fantasy!!