Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentEmbassies & Consulates · 8 years ago

Travel to Cuba with Multiple Passports?

Hi. I live in the US and was wondering about going to Cuba for vacation. I have a US Passport and a POLISH Passport. I was wondering if it is possible for me to drive to Canada, and then fly to Cuba using my Polish Passport.

• Docar
    Favorite Answer

The U.S. Department of the Treasury enforces the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, which apply to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to travel for tourist activities are not licensable. This restriction also prohibits tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

I have been to Cuba while working for the WHO. I used my Irish passport but had to get permission from the US first. (Dual national US & Ireland) This was a number of years ago but I think the rules are still the same.

Sorry!

Yes, it is certainly possible.

However, you may get in trouble with the US authorities if they find out that you travelled to Cuba (regardless of what passport you used to enter Cuba).

US laws ban US citizens and/or residents from making any financial transactions (i.e. spending money) in Cuba. Any bank/credit card transactions or any evidence that you stayed in Cuba and spent any money on anything whatsoever may subject you to prosecution.