HDD or SSD for my dektop?

Hello guys! I have a custom built gaming desktop from ibuypower. In it, i have a 1 TB Hard disk drive. I've been wondering if i should buy a solid state drive for a while because of the faster speeds, but is it really worth the extra $100? Also, if i did get one, what should i put on the SSD? All my windows files for a faster load time? All my music? Etc etc. Well, any comments would then great, thanks!

Best Answer

SSD vs HDD in speed is a night and day performance. I would say it's worth it. It will make your computer way snappier and more responsive, it's an experience you will not want to give up on to go back to a slow, HDD-only based computer. Onto the SSD you should store your operating system(s) and your most used software and games. Media such as music, video and small documents should stay on the HDD as there's a minimal speed benefit in putting them onto an SSD, and, if anything, they will eat up the read-write cycles of the SSD.

I've got a desktop coming from cyberpowerpc that I had an ssd put on for the primary drive for windows to boot up faster, but I'm not sure what else I'm going to put on the ssd. I have a 1TB traditional hdd in there as a data drive.

The SSD would get full fast if you use it for alot of music or games. Especially now that games are reaching 10 to 20 gig per game. My desktop will be getting here tomorrow so I can't tell you if the games would load any faster off of the SSD to be worth the price just for that aspect.

To be honest, I don't think they've hit the price mark yet to be considered the end all drive for data yet. To get decent space on an SSD still takes some good money.

I'm probably going to load all my games on my traditional drive and just try one out on the SSD to see if it's faster load times. I may not physically see the difference.

SSD if you want blazing fast speed and performance. And HDD for more capacity. I prefer Solid state drives though

SSD's are known for their short life span, so take that into consideration. For you I would recommend that you install windows on the SSD. You will get a much faster boot time and programs will also load and run much better.