Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Book Recommendations?

My favorite books include the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, 11/22/63 by Stephen King, The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chboskey, and The Hunger Games series by Susan Collins. (Those were pretty much in order of my favorites, but I like them all.) They are very different, but any books like these that you would recommend, or any at all, would be great. I am a Sophomore guy in high school, but I am a very advanced reader. Thank You!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Brother Grimm - Craig Russell

Cirque Du Freak Series by Darren Shan

Eragon Series by Christopher Paolini

Game of Thrones - George Martin

ANY books by Cornelia Funke should be great for Percy Jackson/Harry Potter fans. :)

The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Animal Farm - George Orwell

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

The House of Silk - Anthony Horowitz

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Hm, well, im a sophmore girl and a fan of most of the books you listed, but most id recomend might be girly now that I glance at my enormous stack of books. Well, I know it might sound childish, but the series is great and Im seriously wondering when itll end. Its called Warriors. Erin's writing style only gets better, im on her fourtyith something book.

The Odd Thomas series, Alpha And Omega series, Guardians of Ga'Hoole books, and almost anything by Stephen King or Rick Riordan are in my favorites.

Source(s): I love reading OuO
  • 7 years ago

One breath away - Heather Gudenkauf

In the midst of a sudden spring snowstorm, an unknown man with a gun walks into an elementary school classroom. Outside the school, the town of Broken Branch watches and waits. Officer Meg Barrett holds the responsibility for the town's children in her hands. Trapped in her classroom, Evelyn Oliver watches for an opportunity to rescue the children in her care. And thirteen-year-old Augie Baker will risk her own safety to protect her little brother. As tension mounts with each passing minute, the hidden fears and grudges of the small town are revealed as the people of Broken Branch race to uncover the identity of the stranger who holds their children hostage.

You don't want to know - Lisa Jackson

Ava has spent most of the past two years in and out of Seattle mental institutions, shattered by grief and unable to recall the details of Noah's disappearance. Now she's back at the family estate she once intended to restore to its former grandeur. But as Ava's mind comes back into focus, her suspicions grow. Ava can't shake the feeling that her family and her psychologist know more than they're saying.

Gone girl - Gillian Flynn

On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?

• 7 years ago

I highly recommend the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Give Treasures of Darkness Treasures of Light by Geno Allen a shot. It is a great read - traditional fantasy storyline. Very well written. http://amzn.com/B00AE31PBG

• Alice
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Try Nokosee: Rise of the New Seminole and its sequel Nokosee & Stormy. Although both are written from a 17-year-old girl's POV, guys will like it because of its plausible combat and survival sequences. Basically it's a coming-of-age cautionary tale with lots of action, adventure and romance layered over a twisted save-the-environment plea.

Think of this as Greek mythology lite (less gods, more filling): The King Must Die by Mary Renault. Set in ancient Greece it follows Theseus on a journey of discovery while painting a vivid picture of the times. Loved the descriptions of young uninhibited Greeks running buck naked up hills and through forests and making love among the flowers. The scenes of naked teens jumping bulls with back flips cries out for a cinematic interpretation. Ms. Renault's written a series of historical novels set in this period and all of them are so worthy.

Vision Quest by Terry Davis. High school wrestling and women. Great movie but greater book.

The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll. A true horrifying and sobering account of "growing up hip" in NYC while a high school basketball star and drug addict. Leonardo DiCaprio starred in the movie.

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. In my opinion it's his best. Beautifully written with boys as the heroes.

Black Swan Green by two-time Booker Prize finalist David Mitchell ("Cloud Atlas"). Hailed as one of the great new authors of the 21st century, his book is a first-person semiautobiographical coming-of-age tale of a 13-year-old boy living in Black Swan Green, a small town in rural England. It records one year in the life of an ordinary kid trying to understand the world while navigating the horrors of growing up with a stammer and bullies who won't let you forget; first kisses, first cigarettes, first deaths, and the slow collapse of his parent's marriage.

Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan. This fast-paced thriller concerns two disparate friends. Sam Hopkins is a pastor's kid with a rebellious streak. Jennifer, his classmate, suffers from visions of demons and voices in her head. When Jennifer warns Sam about an impending massacre, he must choose whether to believe his disturbed friend or not—at the risk (if she is correct and he does nothing) of allowing hundreds to die. Early on in the book, Sam is moved by a Latin phrase he finds on a small statue of an angel: recte age nil time. That is, do right; fear nothing. This is the dubious, flickering star that guides Sam's path—and provides the central tension of Klavan's novel. There doesn't seem to be anything Sam won't do in attempting to do right—whether that is starting fights, trespassing, stealing cars, or evading the police. Review from Image.

• 7 years ago

Have you tried reading The Great Gatsby? Great book!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

If you liked perks of being a wallflower, then I would reccomend looking for alaska by john green. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.