References - UK employment law?

I work for a small company, most of staff has resigned and left in dec, now i have resigned too, our company is one of the worst company in uk in terms of work environment and managing people. I had an arguments with my boss in past. my prospect employer is asking for ref , My boss is treating me that they will give bad reference. in past when ever i had argument with my boss, i raise complaint to MD, my boss never take me to disciplinary or give any warring in 5 year of work tenure. what action should i taken now .. I have already resigned my current company, and if they give bad ref , my new company might take offer back.

• Nick
    Favorite Answer

The best you can do is tell your prospective employer about the difficulties you had. No employer *must* provide references, and in the circumstances it might be better to get nothing than something critical.

Make detailed notes about everything you did, who you worked with, clients, customers etc., so you create your own 'picture' of the last 5 years. The main reason for references is to be sure you weren't in jail for something nasty. After all, new employer already likes you if they proceed to bother with references. If none comes, so be it. Just make sure they know you had a bad time before, so no-one get nasty surprise.

Good luck.

Source(s): https://www.gov.uk/work-reference <<< more info here

I dont think of there's a particular regulation in this whether it incredibly is sweet practice and is lined in maximum audits among many agencies. A a lot of agencies are rubbish at responding to reference requests and you will discover that a lot of workers have not any references on their archives. It wouldnt harm to renounce doing them, yet then you particularly might on no account understand in case you have been hiring somebody of undesirable character.