Coworker dropped leg of chicken on my suit. Can I sue him?

I have heard that in America you can sue anyone for anything. Well, I was at work yesterday eating my usual 20-piece bucket from KFC, and this really annoying coworker who I hate came up and asked if he could have one. Normally I'd tell anyone who made such a ridiculous request to get lost, but this guy is so annoying I'd do anything to make him leave. So I said yes. But then instead of leaving he STARTING EATING IT AT MY DESK! So this guy dropped the leg of chicken on me and it actually fell into my suit. Grease got all over my suit shirt and the inside of my suit jacket and on my tie. Can I sue this guy for damaging my property? Would I have a case?

Favorite Answer

Well, it is not true that in America you can sue anybody for anything because according to federal rule of civil procedure 8, it must be "plausible" that you will win, not just possible. This means, that assuming all your facts are true AND provable, that you will win. This standard was upheld in the recent Supreme Court case of Ashcroft v. Iqbal.

However, your case against your coworker for dropping chicken on you would not be in federal court anyway. Sidenote: According to 28 U.S.C §1332, in order to get a case into federal court you must either be asking a federal question, which you are not, OR be a citizen of a different state than the guy you are suing and you must be suing for more than $75,000, which unless you were wearing a very expensive suit, you are not doing.

You probably would have a case against this guy in small claims court or something, but before taking legal action it might be a good idea to just talk to the guy. If he is a nice, reasonable guy and he damaged your suit, he would probably be willing to at least pay for it to be dry cleaned. But, if he is an asshole, then sue him in small claims court. If everything you are saying is true, you would probably be able to get compensated for your suit shirt and tie. Legal fees would probably be more than the amount you would be compensated so you would end up losing, but if you hate this guy enough it might be worth it just to piss him off.

Good luck

Source(s): law school

If the chicken coating was properly seasoned you could sue him for a SALT and battery. If it was barbeque chicken with a southern flair I'd go for a hate crime. If it was grilled chicken you probably don't have a case.

You can try to sue for the dry cleaning bill, but you usually have to show intent.

• Liddel

Your time is of so little value that you have time to sue over a dry cleaning bill?

lp

you see that is how stupid people are now a days just have him pay for the dry cleaning so what ever your lawyer is doing he can finish without having to do a case for you

complicated stuff. lookup on yahoo and bing. this could help!

Dr Trollworth is trolling.

• Alex

Go for it.