Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 8 years ago

Question about Balrog and Gandalf sword in Lord of the Rings?

When the Balrog drags Gandalf what happens to his staff and sword? Does he lose both of them?

I just haven't watched the movie in about 6 years.

Favorite Answer

If you remember (this is just in the film), Gandalf does the James Bond skydive move as he's falling with the Balrog. He grabs his sword and repeatedly stabs the Balrog as they fall together. So he has the sword, but there's no mention of the staff. Since he's brought back from death after being found on the mountainside, and he's given the title as head of the Istari order, Gandalf the White has a new staff after that.

In the book, when he reveals himself to Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli:

'Then tell us what you will, and time allows!' said Gimli. 'Come, Gandalf, tell us how you fared with the Balrog!'

'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment it seemed that a cloud of pain passed over his face, and he sat silent, looking old as death. 'Long time I fell,' he said at last, slowly, as if thinking back with difficulty. 'Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart.'

'Deep is the abyss that is spanned by Durin's Bridge, and none has measured it,' said Gimli.

'Yet it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.

'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels."

Ever I hewed him.....sounds like he still has the sword there as well.

• According to the books Gandalf's staff was destroyed during the short fight on the bridge, but he held on to his sword when he fell and used it to kill the balrog.

I haven't seen the movies in a long time either and I can't remember exactly what happened. I know he only had his sword when he fell though.

He drops both of them when the Balrog pulls him down with its whip. :)

video clips should not be recognized as canonical whilst they're consistent with literature. that is extra of a tribute than something, and alterations would be made to assuage the final objective marketplace.