Making Gumbo What to Do?

Okay so I tried to make my own chicken stock to go into gumbo and I just ended up with a cup and a half of stock and boiled chicken thighs :/ what can I do to rescue my gumbo?! With this tiny bit of stock can I add water and boil the rice in it? What should I do next, nothing else has been cooked so I have raw veggies, sausage and rice still left to add and I'm at a loss

I used two chicken thighs and I didn't add any vegetables so its a plain, chicken, with salt and pepper broth. I will sauté the sausage and bell peppers and boil the rice in the diluted broth, and cut up the chicken and season and hope for the best!

Favorite Answer

New Orleans Creole Gumbo.

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup bacon drippings

1 cup coarsely chopped celery

1 large onion, coarsely chopped

1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound andouille sausage, sliced

3 quarts water

6 cubes beef bouillon

1 tablespoon white sugar

salt to taste

2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste

1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend (such as Tony Chachere's®), or to taste

4 bay leaves

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes

1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce

2 teaspoons gumbo file powder

2 tablespoons bacon drippings

2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut okra, thawed

2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar

1 pound lump crabmeat

3 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons gumbo file powder

Check All Add to Shopping List .Directions

1.Make a roux by whisking the flour and 3/4 cup bacon drippings together in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat to form a smooth mixture. Cook the roux, whisking constantly, until it turns a rich mahogany brown color. This can take 20 to 30 minutes; watch heat carefully and whisk constantly or roux will burn. Remove from heat; continue whisking until mixture stops cooking.

2.Place the celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic into the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the vegetables are very finely chopped. Stir the vegetables into the roux, and mix in the sausage. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.

3.Bring the water and beef bouillon cubes to a boil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Stir until the bouillon cubes dissolve, and whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, and mix in the sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer the soup over low heat for 1 hour; mix in 2 teaspoons of file gumbo powder at the 45-minute mark.

4.Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in a skillet, and cook the okra with vinegar over medium heat for 15 minutes; remove okra with slotted spoon, and stir into the simmering gumbo. Mix in crabmeat, shrimp, and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer until flavors have blended, 45 more minutes. Just before serving, stir in 2 more teaspoons of file gumbo powder.

Source(s): Paddy's kitchen

How many thighs did you use? Were there any vegetables in the broth (onions, celery, etc)? When you taste the broth does it taste concentrated, like it was over-reduced? If so, you could just dilute it with water. If it doesn't have a lot of flavor, the bones are probably still usable for more stock (stock is made from bones only, using meat and bones produces broth). You could roast the bones in the oven beforehand for even more flavor.

If you're low on time, though, even if you only have 1 1/2 c. of broth, that one aspect shouldn't compromise the overall dish too much. You will get a lot of added flavor from the sausage, vegetables and seasonings.

Source(s): many years of cooking experience

I hear no mention of the Roux. After you saute the sausage save the grease of it and brown some flour. Chop up some green peppers into the roux before adding it to the broth. At the end of your gumbo cooking add sassafras . bell peppers will kill the flavor of the green peppers. bell peppers are for jambalaya not gumbo.

Source(s): cajun lady