How do you interpret this Mark Twain quote?

"Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one." Mark Twain Do you think it's politically incorrect to point out that some people do not need to be lured by the carrot or compelled by the stick to act rationally and ethically? Does Twain further transgress when he... show more "Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one."
Mark Twain

Do you think it's politically incorrect to point out that some people do not need to be lured by the carrot or compelled by the stick to act rationally and ethically?

Does Twain further transgress when he suggest that those who require the compulsion of law are "lesser"?
Update: Interesting responses. In my view, Twain's "right conduct" in a social context stems from the ethic of reciprocity. The "Golden Rule" predates its biblical appearance and is the cornerstone of all ethics. It is a primary philosophical outlook which allows groups larger than a small tribe to... show more Interesting responses. In my view, Twain's "right conduct" in a social context stems from the ethic of reciprocity. The "Golden Rule" predates its biblical appearance and is the cornerstone of all ethics. It is a primary philosophical outlook which allows groups larger than a small tribe to effectively govern their own behavior. It is backed up by the rule of law for those who lack the empathy and self responsibility it requires or the capacity to understand that by denying someone else their rights, you have denied your own rights. By stealing someones property for instance, you have not only violated their property rights, but invalidated your own right to own property. Of course their are times when emotion can override rationality and at that point the rule of law provides the added (and hopefully greater) fear of reprisal.

Those who require the constant fear of reprisal from the law to conduct themselves in a civilized, rational and ethical manner are cer
Update 2: @Ideogenetic What an appropriate Jefferson quote. I think it bears repeating: "Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this... show more @Ideogenetic What an appropriate Jefferson quote. I think it bears repeating:

"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the form of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question." - Thomas Jefferson

If man can not govern himself, how can he govern others? I suppose this lies at the root of the media casting Obama as the "Messiah" and likening his election to "The second Coming".
Update 3: @Scales of Justice Do you really think people are born "good" or "bad"? I tend to think that to a large degree they are a product of their family and of societal influences (education, media, etc..). That is not to say that they should not be held accountable for their conduct, but that anyone... show more @Scales of Justice
Do you really think people are born "good" or "bad"? I tend to think that to a large degree they are a product of their family and of societal influences (education, media, etc..). That is not to say that they should not be held accountable for their conduct, but that anyone who honestly seeks to address sociapathic behavior must look to contributing influences and neither fatalistically assume their behavior is unavoidable and therefore the only remedy is to limit everyone's liberties, nor downplay the importance of the family unit and the damage flawed social programs can inflict.
Update 4: @Top Source re: "He means greater in the sense of the ethical person of means. That person could afford a Dream Team to get them acquitted of crimes, but that person wouldn't commit the crime bc of their good ethics, ie, right conduct." You can't even leave class warfare out of a discussion of... show more @Top Source
re: "He means greater in the sense of the ethical person of means. That person could afford a Dream Team to get them acquitted of crimes, but that person wouldn't commit the crime bc of their good ethics, ie, right conduct."

You can't even leave class warfare out of a discussion of man's basic ethical state? Do you honestly believe that someones "means" determines their character one way or the other? Perhaps you refer to power that often comes along with means and its corrupting influence. If so you must believe that a limited government with less "means" taken from its citizens would be a "greater" one. If that is the case' perhaps we finally agree on something.
12 answers 12