Anonymous

How is my GPA for getting into an Ivy League University?

I'm in high school right now, my current unweighted GPA is 4.0, and my weighted GPA is 4.7. All available honors/AP classes if that helps. I really would like to get into Cornell Vet school in the future. I know there are many other factors such as extracurriculars and SAT scores, but focusing on the GPAs right now--do I have a chance? Also, which is more important, the unweighted or the weighted?

Favorite Answer

Most colleges look at unweighted GPAs, but Ivy League schools also want to you to take the most challenging classes your high school has to offer (honors and APs).

But veterinary school in the US is graduate school; you need to get a bachelors degree before you apply. And since there are only 28 accredited veterinary schools in the US, it is extremely competitive; as bad as or worse than medical school. You will need the highest grades in college to be admitted into veterinary school.

So you would probably be better off going to a small state college or university for your undergraduate studies (just make sure it has all of the prerequisite classes necessary for admittance to your top choices of veterinary schools).

First, it will be a lot cheaper than an Ivy League college; you can probably even get a full ride scholarship somewhere, with your record, assuming your SAT scores are commensurate.

Second, you will be competing for As with more average students instead of the highly intelligent/ genius or near genius/ total swots that are the typical Ivy League student. A 4.0 GPA from Podunk State College looks better to veterinary schools than a 3.5 from Harvard (especially in the state Podunk is in).