Speed difference between DSL and Cable Internet?

I would like to know the difference between DSL and Cable Internet. Right now I have Comcast Cable Internet and on my computer it says that the speed is 54 Mbps. Looking at the Verizon DSL options for speed it says .5 - 1 Mbps. Cable Internet is too costly for my budget and DSL seems to be much cheaper. I've... show more I would like to know the difference between DSL and Cable Internet. Right now I have Comcast Cable Internet and on my computer it says that the speed is 54 Mbps. Looking at the Verizon DSL options for speed it says .5 - 1 Mbps. Cable Internet is too costly for my budget and DSL seems to be much cheaper. I've seen and heard from different places that DSL is faster, but I just don't really understand that because having Cable seems to be somewhat slow. Watching Youtube videos, sometimes it buffers, its out of sync, and same with Comcast videos.
Update: I forgot to add, is the 54 Mbps the shared speed among other Comcast customers in my area? I'm thinking the only reason DSL may be faster is because its for one household and not a neighborhood.
1 answer 1