promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Should some convicted felons be allowed to own a firearm?

I personally think some convicted felons should be allowed to own and possess a firearm if they've been convicted of a lesser felony crime such as drug possession, burglary, theft, fraud, etc

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That is already the law in some places. For example, if the felony conviction was over 10 years ago, and was not a crime of violence or involving firearms, some states allow convicts to petition for a firearms license (at least for possession, if not carrying). Other states require a pardon from the governor, to rescind the conviction (e.g., Delaware requires executive pardon or clemency)

For instance, in Arizona (13-906), a convict can apply for restoration of civil rights, including gun rights, after two years (most felonies), after ten years (serious offenses) and NEVER for any "dangerous offense" as defined. Under Indiana laws, a person convicted of domestic violence crimes can petition for a gun license 5 years after the conviction. Michigan allows petition after 5 years.

In Minnesota you get your civil rights restored automatically upon release from prison, unless it was a violent crime, in which case you need to petition the court for such rights to be restored.

And the list goes on...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

No, because they have a propensity towards crime and often their crimes escalate from drug possession, to armed robbery and then murder. Plus they already broke the law, they shouldn't get the right to own a firearm. They would own a firearm anyway because there is an illegal gun market so it doesn't make much difference.

• 7 years ago

Since a Violent Felon is the one person most likely to a) Recognize a threat AND B:) DO SOMETHING TO STOP IT - The Best Chance of Securing Freedom is to guarantee THAT Person is WELL ARMED. WhattheHell good is a Fully Loaded Nuclear Sub in the hands of a Chicken-poop Big Talker Scaredy Cat?

• 7 years ago

Yeah, just wht I want ... some crackhespad with a gun trying to raise money for a party. Or a burglar becoming an armed robber. If he gets a pardon with full restoration of rights, I'm OK wit him owning a firearm.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Some should. If you make a mistake on your taxes and get prosecuted you should not loose one of your constitutional rights for life. By the same token, there are crimes that are not felonies where a person should probably loose that right.

• 7 years ago

I believe felons that committed felonies that were not threatening to anyone and didn't involve a fire arm should be free to hold and bare fire arms.

Source(s): no sights,just my opinion
  • 7 years ago

So basically any felony that doesn't involve a gun, eh? What were you convicted for?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.