Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 7 years ago

Does anyone know of this specific music recording/composing studio attachment for a laptop?

I'm not sure if it exists, but I'm looking for an extension via USB cord that acts more like a synthesizer that you can actually create, mix, and edit music on. I picture it to resemble a tablet with a piano keyboard on it for notation with some slider knobs and such. It would also have a spot for headphones to plug in so that you could listen to what you were doing without disrupting anyone else. It may come with recording software that would transfer everything you do on the tablet directly onto the recording software.

I know I was quite specific in what I was looking for, but any ideas would be very gladly accepted! Thanks in advance! :)

Favorite Answer

No-one makes an inexpensive unit as you described. The only thing that really does everything that you want is a Workstation Synthesizer. They are quite expensive however - over $1500 new. Examples of workstations are the Yamaha Motif line, Roland Fantom and Jupiter line, and the Korg M3.

But since you have a laptop, what you can do is to buy a Digital Audio Workstation program like Sonar or Cubase. Both Sonar and Cubase record, sequence, and host software synthesizers.

You can also add a USB midi controller and use it to play the software synthesizers that come with Sonar or Cubase. USB midi controllers look like keyboards but don't have internal sounds. They transmit note data to other synthesizers or a computer.

• Jake

There are good software composition studios, some composers use them to score movie sound tracks ( A Digital Audio Workstation run down http://www.musicradar.com/us/tuition/tech/the-16-b... , typically the first peripheral one would add is a MIDI keyword, there are super cheap keyboards with MIDI, but those with velocity sensitive keys cost more. Pros may use a higher quality external digital to audio conversion device, but most computers built in output is as about as good as an iPod.

http://www.musictech.net/2013/06/beginners-guide/