Philosophically speaking, why is murder wrong?

I asked this question with the "spiritually speaking" tag before and got some... well "religious" answers. I want a simple and logical answer so im asking it this way now.

@ Idiot - my address is Hoggwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Hufflepuff dorm room 24.

@ EddieJ - murder is morally wrong

@ EddieJ - murder is morally wrong

@ CC, Lord of Misrule and Pull my Finger

Awesome answers, thanks. If I could give my take on your points

- Natural survival instinct drives us to subconciously seek out and create social paradigms that better our chances for survival. Anything that threatens the wellbeing of an individual can threaten the wellbeing of their society and if it does it is deemed "wrong".

@ idleness. - what you are suggesting is called "culling", i think... not totally on board with that idea cuz it seems like a slippery slope

Favorite Answer

Depends on what you mean by "wrong." In some ultimate sense, it isn't wrong. But from a normal, human perspective:

- I don't want to be murdered.

- I know if I were murdered, it would probably involve pain (for myself and my loved ones who survive me).

- I would cease to exist, and I don't want to.

- I am aware that other people behave like I do when they are harmed.

- From this, I can infer that people experience things much in the same way that I do.

- So I know that if I murder others, it will cause them and others pain/ unwanted cessation of existence.

- I want and expect others to respect my right to live.

- I should extend the right to live to others if I don't want to be a hypocrite, and if I want to better ensure my own safety.

Plus, on top of all of that, most of us have a natural sense of empathy for other humans.

ethics cannot have a logical source...its an instinct...like aesthetics. what we feel is ethical is quite similar to what we feel is beautiful...and as such it is inherently subjective and cannot be logically justified...despite being extremely important to us.

In my subjective view...murder is not always wrong. In fact I do not feel that all humans deserve to live...some are evil and some are useless. Many people like the idea of making life easy for everyone and allowing the population to explode with no control. That is not appealing to me...but im aware that my point of view is uncommon.

@edit well anything in ethics could be viewed as a slippery slope...since all of it lacks any solid objective foundation. But you can be guided by your intuition. I dont think it would be lying, for example, to mention that the murder of hitler wouldnt bother very many people. So everyone can understand this to some extent...its just the arbitrary line that intuition draws for us that may be different

It's simple:

Bhagavan Sanatkumara, who is Brahma's son, has called inadvertence to be death itself.

Colossians Chapter 3.

25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

This is also what the Hindu's refer to as the Karma of Samsara.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

Albert Einstein

The cheats catch the cheats

The criminals catch the criminals

The terrorists catch the terrorists

And those doing the jailing are the ones in prison.

The Greek word for repent - "Metanoia" – actually meaning a profound, usually spiritual, transformation; conversion.

The term derives from the Ancient Greek words μετά (metá) (meaning "beyond" or "after") and νόος (noeō) (meaning "perception" or "understanding" or "mind").

Killing is not necessarily wrong philosophically, but murder is. The reason is that human beings have a natural instinct to survive. There is an unspoken understanding between us that if we abstain from murder then we have a less likely chance of being murdered ourselves. It's an instinct to survive using rational skill instead of physical skill. Plus, I think evolutionarily we have developed a great fear and distaste for the act of killing another human at all.

ps. Orca, I disagree it has anything to do with rights. Rights are another philosophical ideal unnecessarily added to the mix complicating the topic. One might argue philosophically that I have the right to kill someone ('take life") who is attacking me or someone I want to protect.

Taking someone’s life is an act that was cheapen by war and television. But strictly speaking why would you want too. If you didn’t want religious answers what are you doing in the religion and spirituality section. Law would be a better place for your question then.

Same thing I said before: You have no right to take someone else's life, any more than they have the right to take yours. That's not philosophy; that's just logic.

GOD created life and HE gives death.........

To commit suicide or to murder, you are cutting short your or someone's life. It is a sin.

Hence the command in the bible,

6. You must not kill. Exodus 20:13

We consider things wrong if we don't want them to happen to ourselves.

EDIT

That's a good way of putting it.

It is a grave infraction of the law of God.

because it takes a persons life who is innocent