Facebook is asking for a government issued ID ?

So recently my Facebook has been locked for more than 24 hours while I was waiting for an email they were gonna get me. And so, I checked my email yesterday and saw that I needed to send them a picture of an I.d. Thats goverment issued like a birth certificate, or if you dont have one a school i.d. That ONLY shows my name and birthday, and I can feel free to cover any rest of the information i don't want to share. It also said it will be permanantely deleted once my problem has been resolved. Is this a scam? It's not an am email, I got an email from Facebook directing me to my actual Facebook and making me go in, I'm pretty sure this is not a scam cause Facebook does say something about I.d.s in their help center. Question is , Should I send them my government i.d? And is this a scam? I've been researching and 60% yes and 40% scam. HELP!?

• Lenny
    Favorite Answer

This is not a scam... you have to provide proof to prove that the account is yours and you are who you say you are. Your account will remain locked until you provide this information to be verified

• Patrick5 years agoReport

How long does it take until the account is being unlocked?

Hi all - this exact same thing happened to be on both Facebook and then right after on Instagram. I uploaded an ID to both FB and Instagram 3 days ago. I got an email from Instagram that my account has been restored after submitting my ID. However, I have not heard anything back from Facebook and I get to the same screen when I trying logging in. I really hope this gets some bad press for Facebook, because I didn't do anything wrong and all of a sudden was shut out of my account on January 20th and have followed all the steps they ask.

Same here. Either all of these accounts are permanately locked out. Or facebook is being an **** locking all of us out for no reason to just force ID's and thinks it's okay to make us wait a week, 2, a month? who knows. Nobody I've heard who's uploaded ID has had account turned on again.

If it was hacked, you'd be able to verify photos, email, security questions and be back on.

If abuse you'd of been sent warning and a timed 24/48 hour lockout.

If disabled it would have said that and you'd be able to appeal, etc.

It's not because of being a minor either, because it's happen to minors to old people.

I wish facebook would put what exactly is going on in it's help section and have the common courtesy to say how long after uploading ID is one to wait. a week, month?

I think Mark Zuckerberg should be locked out tomorrow morning from all of his email, his own facebook, etc, and a random secret person like me given the power as to when it's turned back on if ever. Let him go through the automated stuff and have no idea what's going on.

The problem is that the id verification is not working in a lot of cases. I have uploaded my id at least 4 times. I always get the response that an email is coming, but it never does. I cannot find an email address to contact facebook to try to get this resolved. Bad customer service.

The exact same thing is happening to me...

I have been locked out of my account for 3 days now and have tried to upload ID 4 or 5 times but every time I try and log in it asks for it again...

Something must be wrong with that upload page because it obviously isn't working. I am beyond frustrated and I have my business page on there as well - I WISH they would do something!

• ?4 years agoReport

Same thing is happening to me
      Did you get your fb back?

I'm having the same exact problem and I'm sick of it! Even my Instagram has been locked, I sent both facebook and Instagram a picture of my passport covering my personal data and still no response. I even tried to change my password for facebook but it didn't change a thing. I've been waiting for more than 3 days now and still haven't got anything I really need to use my facebook :( please help. Thanks x.

Source(s): Does anyone have a solution?

That's not a scam. This is the only way that allows you to get your account back, and will prevent anyone else from opening an account under your name

• nilio

Facebook Government Id

This is not a scam. This is for true validation of a user to make sure they are who they say they are. Real first name real last name and a real birthday.

See here: http://www.facebook.com/help/385569904840341/

how long will I be locked out of my facebook when you send your id info