Solar panel, grid tie inverter, how is the electricity utilized?

I want to install a plug in grid tied inverter, but the meter only spins one direction, crediting the utility co. When appliances are plugged into sockets being supplied by the inverter, do the appliances get all of the needed electricity from the panels, or does it alternate with electricity from the grid? If... show more I want to install a plug in grid tied inverter, but the meter only spins one direction, crediting the utility co. When appliances are plugged into sockets being supplied by the inverter, do the appliances get all of the needed electricity from the panels, or does it alternate with electricity from the grid?
If thats the case does that mean half the electricity created in the daytime would have to go to the grid and some of what the appliances need would come from the grid, even if the panels could provide all the needed electricity otherwise?