What is a good, cheap, lightweight material to make a hammock rain fly out of?

I have a ENO Doublenest hammock that a always use when i backpack. I currently use a 6' x 8' tarp as a rainfly, which works fine, but it weighs almost two pounds and I would like to work on lightening my overall pack weight. The ENO brand rainfly is great, but it costs $70 and I'm looking for something more in the $15-$20 range. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good lightweight materials that could replace my heavy tarp. Or even some brand other than ENO that makes a rainfly that is in my price range.

I know of poly-coated ripstop nylon and poly-coated taffeta, but both are a little out of my price range.

I am looking for a piece that is about 60" wide and 3 yards long and weighs about 1/2 lbs. I am open to look into any type of material; I really have no current preference (Just anything that doesn't cost too much)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• chris
    Favorite Answer

Sil tarps are about as light as you can go with any strength to the material. These are made with a coated polyester taffeta materiel. Where you could get that material for cheaper than a ready made product is and in a size or width that would work for you is another story.

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/c/138/Taffeta-Fa...

• puzo

Hammock Rain Fly

• kerper

I'malso surprised on the appalling requirements at which some houses are being developed / sold and maintained or repaired (had an extension built final year, builders and the work had been a nightmare!!) maybe you are going to to find that Lidl's and Aldi contract builders from Germany to do the entire buildings, we had them in our house (recruited sneakily from the constructing website online:)) as good fixing some stuff British builders tousled. The costs for the crappy cardboard containers called houses, perhaps as long as which you can call it a 3 bed room semi it's perpetually over £160K or so, in any other case you could possibly curb the market, would you? Our house has been built in the 50's so moderately sturdy adn well made, however requirements look to have dropped vastly when you consider that humans are willing to pay for it. Good good fortune along with your job, i would go self-employed together with a excellent architect or as unbiased high satisfactory builder and promote as being informed abroad, persons are fedup with the necessities of the tradespeople who have not obtained a clue and still manipulate to ripp off historical folks...

• Mark M

REI sells lightweight woven poly tarps for a few bucks each, and the 6x8 size weighs less than a pound, packs-up about the size of a paperback. You can usually find them near the tent stakes and tent accessories; I think REI intends them to be used as ground sheets. I use them for shelter over my dining/kitchen area or just for extra hang-out space outside the tent, and they have survived some pretty extreme thunderstorms.

They won't last forever, eventually the grommets will pull out, but I generally get 5 or more trips out of each. Since they are less than $10 each (I think around $4 for 6x8) its no loss if I have to replace them once or twice a year, in fact I always keep several with my gear and in the Jeep.

Eno Rain Fly

Try a tube tent. It's a big peice of plastic for like, $7. Make sure the dimensions are right for your hammock tho. The tent has to be long enough.

You could also use a couple of 55 Gallon drum liner trash bags.

Try a 5by7 space blanket. SOL sells good ones

If you buy cheap, low-quality materials for shelter, then you are risking disaster in hostile weather.

If you want to lower your pack weight, buy a high-quality down sleeping bag.

Your ENO weighs 1 pound, 6 ounces. If you add a rainfly, then you are carrying more weight than an ultralight tent for shelter. Consider buying a backpacking tent.