SuzaQ asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Can anyone recommend affordable pet insurance in the US for cats?

Favorite Answer

Actually, pet insurance may NOT be a good buy. There are two articles you should read by Consumers Reports (a VERY reliable source) that will give you information to make a better decision. They are:

Pet insurance: Rarely worth the price, in our analysis

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archiv...

Should you buy pet health insurance?

http://news.consumerreports.org/money/2010/08/shou...

In fact, depending upon your situation, it might be best to simply send money to your vet IN ADVANCE of any treatments or care! Build up a CREDIT BALANCE on your account. What I might suggest is you get yourself a QUOTE from the insurance company and then use that as a guide to how much to send your vet! I do not know of ANY VET that would REFUSE PRE-PAYMENT!

Me… kittyslave23… I know my place.

Pet insurance is good for unexpected accidents and illnesses. They can get expensive quickly, so it's nice to have insurance to cover the costs. Pet insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, so if your pet is already sick or injured, it is unlikely that pet insurance will cover the costs to treat it.

For other costs like regular exams and vaccines, it's best to self-budget since these costs are expected. Some pet insurance companies offer coverage, but it is typically not cost-effective. (Imagine paying an extra $200 per year on your premiums for $200 worth of routine coverage...)

A few good questions to ask when researching pet insurance are:

1. Does the policy cover everything? Hereditary and congenital issues?

2. What are the payout limits? Will it be enough money for my worst case scenario?

3. How much does it cover for each condition?

4. What are the pricing and deductible options?

5. Is it an ongoing policy? If my pet has an illness during my first policy year, will it be covered the next policy year?

Be sure to do thorough research - Some plans don't pay based on your actual bill, but have lists of predetermined dollar amounts that they will pay for each condition which can be shockingly low in many cases. I would recommend getting an actual insurance plan that covers based on your bill so that you are never faced with a difficult and expensive situation when you *thought* you were covered.

We cover 90% of the actual bill for diagnostic testing, treatments, surgeries and medications including emergency and specialist visits. Trupanion is also the only provider to offer a $0 deductible option.

Feel free to give customer service a call and get a no-obligation quote to ask all the necessary questions and find out what's best for you.

I'm not too sure about pet insurance, but I know about a great discount program that offers 25% disc.right on the spot. You can add unlimited #'s of pets and is for unlimited use. They even cover pets with pre-existing conditions, unlike pet ins. If u do get ins., u can use the discount card on top of that. It's pretty awesome! check out: www.petassure.com. Good Luck!!

I like Veterinary Pet Insurance -VPI. You can get a free quote on their website www.PetInsurance.com. Or you could set aside some money each month for vet care. I know several people who have a savings account just to cover vet bills.

Source(s): Cat Owner Pet Nutrition Specialist