will the US supreme court make the definitive decision in favor of gay marriage?

or will they leave a murky mess to be resolved later on

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

I doubt they'll say that allowing gay marriage is required under the 14th Amendment, but they might. I think it comes down to Justice Kennedy. I know it was Roberts who crossed the line to side with the liberals on the ACA, but Roberts won't do it on this issue. Kennedy is the one everybody will be watching. See his decision in Romer v. Evans for a preview.

• Rick

Gay marriage will be legal one way or the other in all 50 states within the next 5-20 years. Hopefully the Conservatives on the Supreme Court will rule as they should and uphold the Constitution's guarantee of equal rights for both sexes. If you allow a man to marry a woman, it's unconstitutional to not allow a woman to marry a woman. The same goes for men. It's discrimination based upon sex and wrong whether you like their lifestyle or not.

1% of the country lives in a same sex household Per the 2012 US Census Bureau. Once Obama leaves office so will all the votes for the Democratic party.

It is a state issue.

EDIT: My point is it shouldn't be up to the federal courts to make these calls. Just like with abortion. These are state issues. Different people have different wants, and needs. What is good for CA. may not be good for other states. I live in a very religious state. We can't even buy alcohol on Sun. Gay marriage wouldn't be a good fit here like in San Fransisco.

Probably, they're set to review DOMA this year, and with the amount of support against it, it will probably be repealed.

@ John Wayne Fan: Not quite; DOMA is a FEDERAL law, which of course overrides states. While many states have already legalized gay marriage, they are only recognized in those states. Colorado and Washington legalized pot, but it is still outlawed nationally. So, what's your logic, please explain.

Eventually. You left it to the people and time and time again it has been voted down,even in liberal California. So do the next best thing cry to the courts.