Drivers license suspended in another state?

Will my drivers license be suspended in the current state I reside as well?

Back when I lived in Michigan I received a ticket for no proof of insurance. I payed the ticket but it also came along with a drivers responsibility fee. Recently I made a payment plan with Michigan to get my drivers license un-suspended so I could obtain one in Arkansas where I currently live.

When I originally called to create the payment plan they agent said I had a payment plan due on the 14th of this month. Turns out I either heard incorrectly or she told me wrong information but it was actually due on the 14th of December.

All in all I payed my drivers reinstatement fee in Michigan so I was able to get my license in Arkansas while I payed my payment plan. I obtained my Arkansas license while my license was still valid in Michigan but I recently called Michigan and found out it is scheduled for suspention and it will no longer be valid as of the 28th of this month.

I was wondering if even though I got my Arkansas license when my Michigan license was valid, will Michigan still be able to suspend my Arkansas license for the drivers responsibility fee that was defaulted?

It wasn't a major offense, they really don't even have a drivers responsibility fee for a No proof of insurance anymore. But because it existed when I got the ticket, I still have to pay it to keep my license in Michigan.

Any help would be wonderful.

If I didn't explain what happened with the payment well enough. It defaulted because I thought it was due on the 16th of this month (January) When in actuallity it was due on December 14th. I called them to tried to work something out, but they said there is nothing they can do. In order for my license to not be suspended i'll have to pay the 400 dollars by today. If I can't i'll have to pay the 400 dollars I owe in total and re pay my reinstatement fee of 125.00 which I JUST payed.

• Teekno
    Favorite Answer

Michigan will notify Arkansas about the suspension, and Arkansas will suspend your license.

But that will only happen if you don't pay the fine. So, pay it.

• Michigan is not among the 'compact states' and I don't believe they'll notify Arkansas of anything.

All but just a couple states cooperate so people can't dodge their responsibilities, but Michigan isn't one of them.

I'm not from either state, so I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.

• pazo

No, all states share info. You will need a clearance letter from Alaska to use in some other state. An occupational license may be issued if you qualify, this enables you to drive to and from work only, and would not erase the problem in Alaska.