Some career help please?

I'm having trouble deciding what I should go into for a career. I'm considering either going into teaching as a high school social studies teacher, or going on and becoming a lawyer. I understand that's quite a range, but here is why:

If I went into teaching, I would graduate in the spring of 2015 with certifications to teach in broadfield, history, econ, and pol sci. My major would be in Pol Sci. Job options are very limited (live in WI), but I'm willing to move across the state or even into border states. Are these certifications the most desirable?

If I graduated next fall, my GPA would be approx 3.1. My major would be Public Admin. I have not taken the LSAT, and I am well aware that my GPA is not where it needs to be to get into a top-mid tier law school. I do not want a degree from a lower tier law school, making this a gamble as well.

Favorite Answer

Either way you will have a hard time finding a job. There are too many lawyers right now and it doesn't look like that is going to change any time soon, but the same is true with social studies teachers. I have a Master of Arts in Teaching (5-12 cert in SS 4.0) and I have been looking for a teaching job for the last 2 years. Jobs for social studies certified teachers just are not out there if you don't have any real teaching experience. I also have a friend who graduated from law school 3 years ago, she graduate Magna *** Laude from St, Louis University Law School. My advice to you is to look into earning a TESL certificate. Most states will allow you to add this to your initial teaching certification so that you can also be an ELL (English as a second Language) instructor (k-12). I am getting a second masters degree in TEFL right now and I plan on teaching in South Korea for a year or 2 if I can't find a full time teaching job here in Missouri. This is a good way to gain experience so that you can get a social studies teaching job here in the United States. I hope this helps! Good luck with school! I am sure you will do just fine!

Source(s): Bachelor of Science (Political Science) Master of Arts in Teaching (Cert 5-12 Social Studies) Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language (in progress)