Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 7 years ago

Is there any film about the American's perspective on the holocaust?

I have seen The Pianist and Schindler's list, however I was curios to see a historical movie about the American perspective on that period. For example, something like Inglorious Basterds or the beginning of Shutter Island ( when Dicaprio and his soldiers arrive at an extermination camp)

@Miranda.. Thank you for your answer. I am referring to films in which the plot is determined by the action and story of Americans involved in the Holocaust ( or in the aftermath of the event). Films like Schindler's list and The Pianist involve only the European nations...

• Isabel
    Favorite Answer

I don't quite get what you mean by American perspective. There've been many many American films on the Holocaust. Just to name a few major ones that I can recall and saw most of them - Sophie's Choice, the Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Judgment at Nuremberg, Exodus, Diary of Anne Frank, The Man in the Glass Booth, War and Remembrance (tv miniseries), The Music Box, The Devil's Arithmetic, The Pawnbroker, The Courageous Heart, Paradise Road, Out of the Ashes, and many versions of the Diary of Anne Frank.

edit: I'm not aware of any films with Americans and the aftermath, or of the Holocaust and liberation. We weren't there for much of what went on, we had very little involvement - only afterward for liberation from some of the camps. Americans liberated prisoners at Buchenwald, Dora-Mittelbau, Flossenbürg, Dachau, and Mauthausen. Judgment at Nuremberg covers American involvement, it was an American court. Americans were on the outside and only aware of the horrors as the war ended. Our knowledge of the Holocaust came became because of liberation and that so many emigrated to the U.S. There are documentaries you might want to look through - http://fcit.usf.edu/holocaust/resource/videoaf.htm

• Band Of Brothers- its the best US perspective I have seen on this topic. Its towards the end of the series- the paratroopers discover a camp and it includes how they try to care for these sick and tired people. Their emotions and feelings are also shown.