Disneyland or California Adventure?

Going to the San Diego area this summer and planning to take a trip up to Disneyland. Going with my girlfriend, we are both in our 20's, no kids. I'm more interested in thrill rides. I have heard that California Adventure is geared a bit more towards older groups (or perhaps I should say, a bit less towards younger children), and also it just completed a billion dollar renovation last summer. So would California Adventure be the way to go?

Since we are going to be driving the 90 or so minutes up, it's going to be a one day shot. So I don't know if we would have enough time to do both parks. That's why I would like to pick just one. Any insight would be appreciated - thanks!

Favorite Answer

California Adventure has:

Screamin' (roller coaster)

The Hollywood Tower of Terror (great drops)

Radiator Spring Racers (racing cars!)

Soarin' Over California (I just like that one but its all ages)

There are also many little rides that can be fun. And don't forget the Animation Building to learn how to draw Disney Characters, Aladdin the Musical and World of Color show.

They do have the Mad T Party which is right in front of Monster's Inc. It plays friday - sunday nights. The band are dressed and act as Alice in Wonderland characters. They also serve alcohol drinks but they are a pretty penny so be prepared to pay no less than $10 for a martini.

• OC1999

I would say that as a one park deal, you would be more interested in CA Adventure. Over the last several years CA Adventure has gone through an "Extreme Makeover". It used to be a 1/2 day park at best, but with these additions it is now just about a full-day park.

There are a couple of reasons a lot of people say that CA Adventure is geared toward Adults. One is that unlike Disneyland they serve Alcohol(but it isn't cheap so it doesn't really cause an issue with rowdy people). They also have less rides for the younger kids.

They also have a Nighttime "Party" based on Alice in Wonderland(the Tim Burton Version). This has a combination of bars that sell select drinks, a live band and DJ. During the summer, if it is still there(which it should be) it runs every evening.

Do the park hopper, you can do both parks in one day, although you can't do all the rides, you can do the major ones and the thrilling one's. Both parks are across each other so you won't be doing alot of walking across each park. I'd say do Disney California adventure first, because the rides in Cars land get huge because it's a new area, grab a map so you know where it is. I recommend that's the first thing to do, if they fill up quick, grab a fastpass, they are free and with that you can come back to ride the ride Radiator Spring Racers and skip to the front of the line at the designated time. Ride the rides that grab your attention. The thrill rides are Tower of Terror, Grizzly river run raft ride, California Screaming, and Goofy's flight school. Other fun though tame rides that you should do are Toy Story midway mania and Soarin. Half way through the day, head over to Disneyland and do Indiana Jones Ride, Splash Mountain, the Matterhorn Bobsleds, Space mountain, and Star tours. Although Disneyland's thrill rides aren't as thrilling as the one's in California Adventure, there are more rides there. Also do pirates of the caribean, peter pan's ride, finding nemo submarine voyage, and the jungle cruise, also do the walk through inside the castle. Don't miss the fireworks show at night and the Fantasmic show but do the last show because it can be crowded or do the World of color show in Disney's california adventure with the fastpass you can hope over to both parks as much as you want.

• Mel A.

You're correct. California Adventure is aimed more toward the "adults" haha. There are more "adult" rides and they just added Cars Land and some other stuff. I like the Disneyland side more because in my opinion you get more of the "Disneyland spirit" with all the little kids and stuff, but that's just me. If you're going for thrill rides, go with California Adventure. But if you do have time to do both parks, do both! Have fun!

Do both parks! California has better (adult rides) but the park is still limited. While at Disneyland they have a lot more things to do. Also think of it this way. Either pay $90 twice because you're making two visits or get the park hopper for $125

It's true that C.A. has more thrill rides but there's not a full day's worth of stuff at C.A. in my opinion. Typically, we get the hopper pass for two days and spend 1 and 1/2 days at Disneyland and 1/2 a day at C.A. With that said, if you just wanted to do C.A., it might work for you since you'll be spending some of your time driving and it would also allow you to leave the park and go to Downtown Disney for lunch or drinks in the evening and then go back. The only thrill ride at Disneyland is Tower of Terror and Space Mountain. So long story short, I think you'd be fine with just doing C.A. You definitely can't do both parks in one day and it would be a waste of money to get the hopper pass.

There are no "thrill rides" in any Disneyland park, including California Adventures. The only ride that comes even close to thrilling would be the "Tower of Terror". If you want thrills, then head to Knott's Berry Farm or magic Mountain.

Definitely California Adventure!

Disneyland is for younglings.