coast guard enlistment contract?

does the coast guard offer the 6 year enlistment contract with a e3 bounes i plan on making the coast guard my career

Thanks in advance

i havent choosen a rating i really want to deal with law enforcement any suggests

@Coastie mom in Texas ....... thanks so much that helped a lot and u mentioned you are paid as e3 in basic training

Favorite Answer

Once again MrsJVB doesn't understand how the CG works... No one chooses their rating in advance of boot camp. With the exception of ratings that are critical, currently that is FS (Food Specialist) only. But yes, you can sign a 6 year enlistment contract. That will get you paid as an E-3 throughout boot camp and you will graduate a Seaman, instead of a Seaman Apprentice. It is only the difference of a few dollars for about 6 months time. So it is up to you if you sign 4 or 6. There are no other bonuses at this time. That isn't even a bonus, it is just a longer contract for a higher rank.

All of the CG deals with some level of law enforcement. ME, BM, & MK would be the three most prevalent but even FS's, YN's, MST's are involved with law enforcement.

Add'l Info - Yep, you will be paid as an E-3. You will still be a Seaman Recruit as far as what you are called. But you will get the slightly higher pay. Be sure that it is in your contract!!!!! Do not sign it if it doesn't say it! If you have a verbal agreement with your recruiter when you get to Cape May it will mean nothing. In writing or doesn't exist. Let me know if I can help answer anything else. My son signed a 6 year deal and started as a Seaman (E-3).

Source(s): CG Family for more than 27 years Administrator WWW.USCG.ORG forum, come ask questions to people that know the answers, not guess from other services.
  • crnd

Yes, the Coast Guard offers an option where you can start at E-3 when signing a 6 year active duty contract. Be sure to get it in writing.

You're smart not to try to "decide" on a rating in advance, or even in boot camp. Get through boot camp, get to your first unit, meet some people in that rating, watch them do it, figure out what's good (and bad) about each one, then make the decision that's best for you. Seems like most people that enter the Coast Guard come in having "decided" they want to be either an AST or ME. Most people end up doing something other than those two things. There's a saying that goes "choose your rate, choose your fate". It's very much true, as there are positive and negatives with each. The more information you have, the better your eventual decision will be.

Good luck!

Source(s): I'm a USCG officer.

Sure, the Coast guard presents an choice the place which you can start at E-three when signing a 6 year energetic responsibility contract. Be definite to get it in writing. You're sensible no longer to try to "make a decision" on a rating in advance, or even in boot camp. Get through boot camp, get to your first unit, meet some humans in that score, watch them do it, determine what's good (and bad) about each and every one, then make the resolution that's pleasant for you. Looks as if most folks that enter the Coast preserve are available having "decided" they need to be either an AST or ME. Most men and women grow to be doing whatever other than those two things. There is a saying that goes "choose your rate, select your fate". It can be very so much genuine, as there are confident and negatives with each. The more knowledge you've gotten, the easier your eventual resolution shall be. Excellent luck!

If you sign for the 6 you will definitely graduate as a seaman. I signed for 4 right out of high school and made seaman apprentice out of basic. It wasn't that big of a deal making e-3 though. only takes 4 months and a few sign offs. Its really hard getting in right now.. But i would highly reccomend that you keep trying! even if you have to wait a long time.. I was only planning on doing my four years and getting out and going to school. Now i am planning on making it a career. Once you get in. You won't have a rate right away. you will have to get some qualifications at your unit first, and than you can put your name on a list after youve been at that unit for 4 months. If you want to do law enforcement. I would reccomend going ME (Maritime law enforcement specialist) or going BM (Boatswains mate) i orignially wanted going ME. .. but the A school list was over 3 years long. And i was very discouraged being a non rate on a big boat for that long and having to get deployed every 3 months. So i chose boatswain's mate. And i LOVE my job. I get to do the law enforcement part, and drive the boats during any type of case. Just remember that it all is going to come with in a lot of time. And to just be patient! Good luck!

• Mrsjvb

depends on the rating you choose.