Remember the titles of sci-fi books you read in middle school or grade school?
Please answer with any books you read that you remember.
I'm specifically looking for two books:
1. A family has to leave earth on a space ship and can only bring a few things, one of the girls brings a blank book and writes in it every day. They reach a new planet and everything is glass, all the seeds they blank grow into glass plants.
2. A boy (and his dad or uncle maybe) go camping in the desert and he accidentally steps into some kind of transport beam and goes to mars or another planet..
YES!! Thank you!! That's been driving me crazy!
- tiandronLv 78 years agoFavorite Answer
1. The first book is The Green Book by Jill Paton Walsh
"We are at Shine, on the first day, " says Pattie, when, as the youngest member of the group, she is given the honor of naming the new settlement. Refugees from the dying planet Earth, they, along with other ships, have been sent into space in the hope that some of them will survive to continue the human race. But the success of Shine remains doubtful as crops fail and provisions brought from Earth dwindle. Even the excitement surrounding the hatching of the giant moth people from the "boulders" in Boulder Valley doesn't make the group forget the hopelessness of the situation. It isn't until Pattie and her sister Sarah make an important discovery that survival becomes a certainty."
2. Some of the details don't match, but could you be thinking of The Transall Saga by Gary
"The story begins with Mark Harrison, a 13-year old survival enthusiast, hiking through the mountainous Magruder Missile Range when he is struck by a mysterious blue beam of light. He wakes up in a strange world that he believes is an alien world with many similarities to Earth. He uses his survival skills to live off the land and, while exploring the forest, he discovers a camp of some short human-like creatures with webbed feet and dark, olive-colored skin, though he finds them too warlike to interact with. He also hears a creature called the howling thing. Soon after, he is enslaved by the Tsook, a metal-weapon wielding race. Over the next three months, he learns their language and develops feelings for Megaan, the chief's daughter. When, after escaping, he returns to warn the tribe about an impending attack, he is granted freedom and official entry into their tribe"
- Todd BloneLv 68 years ago
"Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" by Robert Heinlein. That book was a turning point for me. I read it over and over, something I had never done before with any book.