If my 18-year old moves out on her own, do I have to pay child support in NY State?

My 18-year old daughter (who is halfway through her senior year of high school) has decided that my insistence that she clean up after herself is just unreasonable and too much to bear, so she moved out in a bratty, middle class huff and moved in with her girlfriend. I had custody of her as a minor, but I'd suppose that's irrelevant now that she's 18. She left of her own accord and is not staying with her mother or any other family. She has a job at which she makes maybe $150/wk. We live in Brooklyn. Am I legally obligated to pay her child support? Does the fact that she's not living with other family and has a job matter?

Please don't answer unless you're in the legal field or have been through something similar. Vague references to the law are unhelpful. I can Google, too :D

6 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    If your daughter had moved in with her mother (or with another responsible adult with your permission) and was still enrolled and attending high school, you would likely be required to pay child support to the adult who was supporting your daughter.

    But a parent NEVER has to pay the child support to the child.

    And in this situation, your daughter decided she was a grown woman (as opposed to a dependent child). Grown woman are not supported by or entitled to be supported by their parents.

    The fact she has a job is irrelevant. The fact that she is 18 and has chosen to move out of her custodial parents' home is what is relevant.

    If she is demanding that you support her, you can certainly tell her that you will support her as long as she is living under your roof, attending high school full time, and obeying your rules. But if she wants to be free from parental rules, she is also free from parental support. (It goes directly to that whole "you can't have your cake and eat it, too" concept.)

    • Login to reply the answers
  • lwhhow
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Wow. I hate these serious questions on Yahoo.

    But this is a serious question.....And the serious answer is.....

    I'm sorry, but your stuck with her (and so equally is her Mom) (NY law) until she's as much as 19 1/2 years or graduates High School (whichever comes sooner). A lot of kids because of their birth date and when they started school are still 18 when their in their 'senior year'....The law since the 1990's says they have an extra year to graduate till their 19 or even 19 1/2 (depending on their birth date).....of course they have to be in school during this time, or trying to be in school, not in jail etc. But legally the support obligation continues as long as their making progress in school between 18-19/half.

    Yes I've been there, and two 18 year olds on a $150 a week couldn't last a month in Brooklyn. At least she's working and trying. If your her Dad, then I'd say 'go easy'......if you supported her this far then why not finish the job.....see her though high school, get her to go back to school or home if she left.....Hope this answer helps..........

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Child support never goes to the child, but to the custodial parent of the child. If she's 18, then your child support obligations are almost certainly terminated. If you owe BACK child support, then this debt is still valid, but you owe the debt to her mother (or whoever was her legal guardian at the time).

    In some cases, child support is ordered to continue past the age of 18, but it's generally for college. If she isn't in college, if she's living on her own, but the decree says that you have to pay support until she's 21 or 22, I'd say you should go back to court and lay out the facts.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • bast
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    You have to examine with the family legislation in new york. But i have yet to hear of them altering the regulation on when little one support ends. A co-employee of mine has a now 18 12 months old, and not gets youngster help from her father. I do know the order i have for my son states, that little one aid ends with when he becomes an grownup, 18. That stinks that you two have a father like that. Good good fortune to you both.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    It depends on what your child support agreement stipulates. And if someone else be claiming her as a dependant on taxes, or if she is actually fully self-supporting.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    child support ends at 18.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.