Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 7 years ago

Ask my doctor to prescribe medication for "Stage Fright"?

I'll be making a big presentation for my Spanish class. One at the end of the 3rd marking period, and one in Spanish at the end of the 4th, and that's what I'm worried about.

For as long as I can remember, I've had a fear of presenting, but it's starting to make a big impact now. I've tried to tell my mom, but she just keeps telling me I need to get used to it. I can't though because it gets worse and worse every time I have to present something. My face goes beat red (which doesn't help me trying to calm myself down), my heart starts pounding, my stomach drops to the point where I feel like I'm about to start shaking, and my head goes fuggy (so I end up not being able to remember what I need to say -which also doesn't help).

Not only is it going to effect my already not-so-amazing grade in Spanish, but I'm in an Academy program at my school. Either next year or in two, we need to get an internship and then put together a presentation. The thought of having to stand on stage and present it is freaking me out to the point where I'm crying. I don't know why I have such a big fear of presenting, but I do and it's staring to become a big issue.

My main question is if I could talk to my doctor about getting some type of medication to calm me down before these presentations. I'm 15, so what are the chances I won't get any? Is there anything specific I should be asking for? I just don't want some one else to tell me I "just need to get used to presenting". I think I'm a good judge of how I feel, and I know I can't just "get used to it".

Favorite Answer

Absolutely. The medical term for stage fright is "Performance Anxiety" and the one drug that we routinely prescribe for that is propranolol (brand name, Inderal). It is very inexpensive (you can get a presription filled at Walmart or Target for $4) and VERY effective.

A lot of our patients who have significant anxiety when they have to perform on the stage, present in front of a class, make a presentation at work, have an interview scheduled, or take an exam use this on a regular basis with no difficulties. This is not a sedative, it's not a controlled substance, and it can be given by the physician as a phone order to the pharmacy.

Call your physician now - if he isn't available, another physician or nurse practitioner should be covering for him. Leave the message that you are calling for severe anxiety. You can also go to the local walk-in medical clinic and ask to be seen by the doctor there. If the doctor is not familiar with it, he can contact a child and adolescent psychiatrist by telephone - even on a Sunday, we answer the phone!

Good luck. I hope that you reach your doctor. However, if you don't, there is one other option that can help you tonight. Call the local vitamin store, health food store, or pharmacy and ask for Calms Forte 4 Kids. OK, so I know you aren't a "kid".. but this is an herbal supplement that is very effective at helping anxiety. If you take medication on a regular basis, call your pharmacy and check to see if there is an interaction, but usually there are none. The other herbal that will help a lot are the Bach's floral essences and remedies. These are also very effective herbals and you should be able to find a vitamin store that carries them. There should be someone at the store who can help you choose the one or two that will help you the most. There are usually instruction pamphlets at the display that help. I use these all the time and they help a lot.

Source(s): Retired nurse who manages a psychiatry medical practice

1

Source(s): Medical Consultations Via Phone : http://OnlinePhysician.neatprim.com/?RaYW
  • Mary

This is a question Iv'e never thought about before. I think doctors can prescribe thereself with medication but then again I'm not so sure.. Another doctor might have to do it. I dont think dentists can give there self laughing gas though

There is no doctor that will give you a scheduled drug to a 15 year old upon request that she is nervous about a speech and needs the good grade.

If you find a doctor that does, he should have is medical license revoked!

Taking a drug to solve this issue is just going to set the rest of your life up for failure. Can't stay focused at my job? There's a drug for that. Can't fall asleep at night? There's a drug for that. Your head hurts today? Oh here, have this drug.

The things you are describing are not uncommon at all!!!! SO SO SO MANY people are scared of presenting. It's through short periods of exposure over time that will eventually take this feeling away from you.

Example: New employee gets a job at a zoo and he is afraid to death of hungry animals. Now does it make sense for his boss to tell him that he needs to go into the lions cage and feed the lion on his first day? No it doesnt make sense at all! That is why the new guy is over feeding the rabbits right now then next he's feeding koalas. NExt week he is feeding pigs. Then foxes. tetc etc etc giraffe, elphant etc etc. It's process he works up to the bigger animals.

This speech is probably just one of those stepping stones. You can't make progress if you aren't willing to go a little bit out of your comfort zone.

and I do not believe you need drugs in order to come out of your comfort zone. It's time to grow up a little bit!

You should find your doctor sympathetic to this one. Medication for stage fright is available. I won't tell you what to ask for, because there is nothing more irritating for a doctor that a patient that says "I need treating with XXX". As a consolation, though, XXX is not a tranquilliser or scheduled drug.