MAC asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 7 years ago

Question about Okra in Gumbo?

I'm playing on making some gumbo, is it necessary to cook the okra ahead of time in a separate pan or could i just put them into the gumbo very early in the simmering process?

Favorite Answer

I put cube sized okra together with other vegetables after the meat and soup base is prepared. Gumbo cooks and broken down really fast. *

Fried okra is on hand by means of most food carrier distributors. It comes frozen breaded and capable to deep fry. Some areas bread their possess. There are hundreds of thousands of gumbo recipes. The elements incorporate chicken shrimp sausage of some type ideally andouile or scorching polish then you want inventory onions celery bell pepper tomatoes some use corn and rice. Gumbo file for a spice as well as garlic black pepper oregano and cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning. The gumbo flie rather thickens the stew. Some men and women add okra to the gumbo and others prime it with fried okra such as you had. Some persons put in the surimi crab meat additionally. Every recipe is extraordinary on the grounds that each and every chef has a diffent style profile. This is ordinarily regarded a cajun stew.

Okra doesn't take long to cook, about the same as green beans or snow peas. Since it is added to thicken the gumbo, as you cook it longer the gumbo can turn very mucilaginous, just like okra itself when you boil it. I always add it 15 minutes before serving.

I like okra even by itself. But it's a really odd vegetable. It's a thickener. It gets slimier the longer you cook it so cooking it ahead is a waste of time.

• Emma

Here are a bunch of Gumbo recipes that are easy to cook - http://www.gourmet-living.com/category.html?catego...

put it in all together, okra does not take long to cook at all and cooking it seperate would be a waste of time i think

Source(s): my mom