quick grammar question: can you say "even don't", i.e. I even don't know her first name?

Hello,

I have a question about sentence structure. Can you say "even don't", or must you say "don't even"? In other words, are both of the following sentences grammatically correct?

1. I don't even know her first name, let alone her last name.

2. I even don't know her first name, let alone her last name.

• Gary B
    Favorite Answer

I can't recommend using that word order in that sentence. The grammar may be fine, but the emphasis is misplaced. "Even don't" and "let alone" don't play nicely with each other.

This word order can sound natural, in some circumstances:

- I don't know her phone number. I don't know her last name. I even don't know her first name.

In a case like this, the heavy emphasis doesn't seem awkward or misplaced.

In your original sentence, I can't even recommend using "even", regardless of position. The contrast and emphasis belongs with "let alone".

- I don't know her first name, let alone her last name.

Both are correct but the second one just doesn't sounds right. You used "even" to emphasized "know her name" and putting "even" before "don't" makes you emphasized "don't know".

Ex: That punishment is not even painful nor severe for a little boy.

You can say "That punishment is even not painful nor severe for a little boy." because "even" is again used to emphasized that its not "really" painful. It' s used to support the adjective you used and described the word "painful" so putting it before "not" makes you emphasized "not".

So it depends on what you really wants to emphasized. Hope I got it right and hope this can help you. :)

• haven

I Dont Even Know You

• Linda

They are both gramatically correct. But option one sounds better. If you have the option, use "don't even" but both sentences would be diagramable (if anyone is still doing that).

Source(s): Me know english good.

Don't even sounds correct.

• mahlon

1. is correct, in any usage.

2. I dont even....