Where do you think my last name came from?

My last name is Range. I am African-American and I have been looking into my family history. I was told by someone that my name comes from France and then I heard Germany. My grandfather is from Georgia around the cities Americus and Cordele. He moved to New Jersey when he was young so he was raised in New Jersey.... show more My last name is Range. I am African-American and I have been looking into my family history. I was told by someone that my name comes from France and then I heard Germany. My grandfather is from Georgia around the cities Americus and Cordele. He moved to New Jersey when he was young so he was raised in New Jersey. But my grandfathers father was born and raised in Georgia.
So my question is.... Since Georgia is where my family started, Where do you think my last name might be from? Did it originate from Georgia or from another country? Also, are there any other people out there with the last name Range? And would ya'll happen to know a man by the name of Sylvester Range. That was my Grandfather's father name, he lived in Georgia and he had more children. I just cant seem to find out where or who they are.
Update: I know for sure that Sylvester Range had two sons and one girl by my great grandmother. Their names are Ernest Range, Willie Range, and John Range. My great grandmother name was Myrtle Range because she married Sylvester Range, but they later separated and she moved to New Jersey without him.. I Hope that is... show more I know for sure that Sylvester Range had two sons and one girl by my great grandmother. Their names are Ernest Range, Willie Range, and John Range. My great grandmother name was Myrtle Range because she married Sylvester Range, but they later separated and she moved to New Jersey without him.. I Hope that is enough info.