adna asked in TravelAir Travel · 7 years ago

layover at Frankfurt?

I have a 22 hr layover at frankfurt on Lufthansa. The flight arrives at 3.30 p.m and the next flight is at1.30 p.m the next day. Do I have to claim my checked baggage and re check it in? Can I leave the airport with just my hand baggage and stay in a hotel outside and come back in time for the flight? How much time prior to my flight do I need to be at the airport?

• Sthlm
    Favorite Answer

Normally your baggage would be sent to your final destination, not being available to you at the layover. You should however confirm this with the airline.

You will not be allowed to make this journey unless you meet the entry requirements for Germany, even if you would chose to remain in the international transfer area. Depending on your nationality you may need a visa [1]. This must be a visa (or a residence permit) issued by Germany or another Schengen State valid for visiting Germany. An airport transit visa will not do.

With a valid passport and, if applicable, a valid visa (which you will need anyway) you may leave the airport. Check with the airline when you must be back. As a general rule, be back before the latest check-in time for passengers starting their trip on your connecting flight.

There are exemptions from the visa requirement for passengers staying in the international transfer area. You will not be able to benefit from this as your layover exceeds twelve hours. [2] There is therefore no reason for you not to leave the aiport.

Airlines generally are not allowed to hold bags overnight, usually 6 hours is the maximum layover time for through checking baggage. Some large airports have storage lockers for short term luggage storage, you may want to look into that. Be at the airport at least one hour before for a domestic flight, two hours for an international flight.

• John L

You should be able to check your bag through, although before you do that you might want to consider whether you'll want anything in it for overnight. Lufthansa says their checkin cutoff at Frankfurt is 40 minutes before the flight, but you'll want to be there at least an hour ahead, make it an hour and a half if you're going to the US or other non-Schengen destination.

While you're there, I recommend taking the train to Wiesbaden. It's only 20 minutes from the airport, and it's much more pleasant than Frankfurt.

You may check your bag all the way to your final destination just make sure you tell the check-in agent your plans so that there is no confusion. I would be at the airport at least an hour before. Frankfurt is a busy airport and Security clearance can take a while sometimes.

• ochala

The minimum volume of time after which you're allowed to pass away an airport in transit is 6-8 hours watching the rustic. you're waiting to take a later flight via contacting the agent/business corporation who booked it for you yet you will likely would desire to pay a cost for this modification watching the airline. This cost varies from 0-500 GBP watching the unique cost of the cost ticket. Stopovers are many times loose with the aid of fact the airline has to stop there besides. it could be a disgrace to omit out Europe thoroughly so i'd touch your agent/business corporation interior the 1st occasion.

Are you just changing plane from one International destination to another (ex: Munich - Frankfurt - New York) ? If so, you are in transit and can't leave that section where you are, never mind leaving the airport.