What does the word "god" mean to you? What about the word "family"?

All opinions welcome! Please be respectful! I want to know what the words "god" and "family" mean to you. Words are not precise and allow for lots of variation in interpretation. For example, a much less touchy word like "boat" can have many meanings. You may think of a little canoe... show more All opinions welcome! Please be respectful! I want to know what the words "god" and "family" mean to you. Words are not precise and allow for lots of variation in interpretation.

For example, a much less touchy word like "boat" can have many meanings. You may think of a little canoe you own and take on a river or you may think of a huge ship like the Titanic. Neither interpretation is wrong, because the very nature of language allows for this variability.

So what do "family" and "god" mean to YOU?

Please do not bash other people's beliefs. You can point fingers and call BS on someone trying to force their beliefs on you, but you can not have success convincing someone not believe what they believe if that it is the root of their entire belief system. You may think the person you are trying to change is crazy for being stubborn, but i think it is just as mad and stubborn to try to convince a schizophrenic (just an extreme example) that the world they see is not real.
Update: Great answers! I'm definitely gonna let this go to vote, cuz I Don't wanna choose a "best answer" this time. Here's the meanings I attach to these words: God - I try not to limit the concept of God. I understand that there is not a true or complete way of knowing 100% the nature or existence... show more Great answers! I'm definitely gonna let this go to vote, cuz I Don't wanna choose a "best answer" this time.

Here's the meanings I attach to these words:

God - I try not to limit the concept of God. I understand that there is not a true or complete way of knowing 100% the nature or existence of god that I have yet discovered (I'm skeptical of people's absolute convictions, but I wouldn't go as far as calling another a liar for sharing their own experiences or opinions). I see the word God as an abstract concept of the transcending nature which our universe stemmed out of. I change my definition quite often and I try to keep the concept as fluid, just as scientific models are flexible and can be altered and built upon after new evidence. My model of the concept of God will change to fit the situation or needs at the moment, just as we consider light as a particle or a wave, based on what fits the needs of our calculations. Sometimes I think of it as t
Update 2: Family - I define my family as "my n*ggas". Like all words, the "N-word" can carry several meanings, but this word is touchy because it can mean polar extremes based on context. For those of you who don't understand the use of the N-word as a term of endearment, it means the people who I... show more Family - I define my family as "my n*ggas". Like all words, the "N-word" can carry several meanings, but this word is touchy because it can mean polar extremes based on context. For those of you who don't understand the use of the N-word as a term of endearment, it means the people who I share my true-self with. Our bonds are forged in fire and we got each others backs through the good and the bad. It is unconditional love. This includes some of my blood relatives (and very fortunately for me it includes my entire nuclear family :) for which I am grateful for beyond words), but also my "aunties", "uncles", and "cousins" that aren't blood related. It also includes my closest friends and their "families" (as i define it) too. It is the people who you invest in emotionally and they reciprocate it in return. When life puts space and time between you and your "family" you will keep your love for them and always ho
Update 3: *** The rest of my "god" definition (i get way too wordy about stuff I'm passionate about): I see it as the laws of our universe, or the multiverse, or the "Tao" as explained in Taosim, or the idea explained by Christians as "the pure love of Christ ---- charity", or the summation... show more *** The rest of my "god" definition (i get way too wordy about stuff I'm passionate about):

I see it as the laws of our universe, or the multiverse, or the "Tao" as explained in Taosim, or the idea explained by Christians as "the pure love of Christ ---- charity", or the summation of all human goodness, or the summation of all humans' or conscious beings' collective experiences in all places and times. I try to make my concept of "god" lead me to a better, more fulfilling life regardless if it is true or not. I don't like to pick teams. I try to belief whatever helps connect me to my fellow humans and the environment which our very existence depends upon. :)