How do I get a patent on a product invention?

I wonder how to get and how much it costs to patent a idea I have ? It seems all the company's I contacted want only a few hundred to start it and then market it like the ones on TV and then thousands to go from there and I can't afford thousands even know I think it is a great idea and so do the people I... show more I wonder how to get and how much it costs to patent a idea I have ?
It seems all the company's I contacted want only a few hundred to start it and then market it like the ones on TV and then thousands to go from there and I can't afford thousands even know I think it is a great idea and so do the people I showed .I was just curious if you could patent it and find I think lucky investor.
All of the companies keep calling me back and e-mailing me but I feel I am being duped .
The product can be made and packaged for under a $ and sold for I believe 3 to $4.99 with the package the size of a car tree air freshener and has a target of over a million potential customers .
The people that it targets represents millions of people and from all walks of life and could be displayed in dollar stores to drug stores, k-mart, wall-mart or just on line
I would appreciate your input TY .
1 answer 1