Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 7 years ago

Question for vegans/vegetarians who think that humans should not eat meat because it's not natural?

Why do we have amino acids in our blood that assist specifically in breaking down proteins, oils, and fats? And why don't humans have a reaction to eating raw meat, like people who're lactose intolerant can't eat dairy because their ancestors weren't acclimatized to it? Me and people I know have eaten raw meat quite a few times and it's fine, and we're quite fit and healthy and stay that way. The Japanese eat raw fish all the time, it's part of the national cuisine. Every society, prehistoric or modern, eats or has left evidence (in the form of spear and arrowheads and cracked bones, etc) that they ate animals, often raw.

If you're a vegan/vegetarian, but don't think it's unnatural to eat meat and have no problem with others doing it, I salute you good sir/ma'am. And I appreciate any answers I get.

@ friendofchip: Which societies have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt to have not eaten any meat? I'm pretty sure that wholly vegan-vegetatian societies never existed, although there have been some, like the inuit, that survived almost entirely on meat.

@ friendofchip: So you mean the communities within a society don't eat meat, similar to the vegetarian and vegan communities within today's societies. But not the society as a whole.

About the enzymes in our blood - I should have mentioned that they seem to have evolved to break down *animal* fats, oils and proteins. We do have mechanisms for breaking down plant fats, oils and proteins, but as far as I can tell there's no evidence to support that the ones I mentioned are for breaking down anything other than other animals.

Favorite Answer

Even if you don't get sick, your still taking the life of a living being. I myself get sick when I've eaten meat in the past. And I'm a vegan by the way.

I think the questioner Drocki is NOT talking about subsitutes or morals.

He's talking about whether human are truely able to digest meat naturally in nature. Which is yes.

In the day long ago, going out of your way trying to find subsitute for meat or caring for the animal's feeling was NOT an option. It was a matter of SURVIVAL and what was available. If meat was available, people ate it.

In THIS day and age people can CHOOSE not to eat meat. People can now eat vegies that subsitute protiens from meat. Why? Because everything is so convienant. If you don't want to eat meat, no problem, just go to the store and pick up beans.

Meat can NOW be an option.

But due to our history and nature, meat is certainly not 'unnatural' to us in our diet.

I'll just leave this here

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp...

The folks in this forum can be very selective of what they espouse & what they leave out, Of course they will not mention how humans can catch small insects & carrion bare handedly. Alongside us eating numerous types of raw/live meat over our history as a species....Its basically vegan "creationism".

We do not however have amino acids in our blood that break down macronutrients, we have enzymes (which are biological proteins composed of amino acids). We also utilise other means to digest food such as mechanical agitation & various chemical means to deconstruct the nutrient/absorb it. Our body does not recognise food groups which is why its asinine to argue that meat is bad for us, yet some plant that can provide the same nutrition is not....It shows a complete lack of knowledge on basic human biology.

Source(s): ex vegan

Of course eating meat is natural. But you can't live solely on meat. We are designed to subsist on a plant based diet which can be supplemented by meat. But meat is in no way essential for health.

You can survive without meat just fine but you can't survive without vegetables unless under specific conditions, such as Inuits who have evolved to suit a carnivorous diet over thousands of years, and the cold weather means that the increased fat intake is burned off just keeping warm, yet they still have a much shorter life span than other races(a good 20 years less than the average global lifespan). A non-Inuit person attempting to live the same lifestyle will have a lot more health issues and an even shorter lifespan.

People have been living on vegetarian diets for many thousands of years, which means some ethnic groups with a longer history of vegetarianism are better suited to it than others and so it could be considered "more" natural for them.

The truth is that a vegetarian diet is natural, and so is an omnivorous one.

The theory that humans evolved large brains and hands suited to manipulating objects and making tools because of hunting is outdated, and only one part of a much larger picture. Digging for starch rich plant roots and tubers and cracking nuts also rich in starch are just as big an influence, if not more so.

We have 10 times the amount of amylase(converts starch into usable sugars) in our saliva than a chimp, simply because a chimp for example doesn't dig for roots as a major source of food. Few animals are better adapted to eating starch-rich foods like grains, tubers and nuts than we are, these foods, being energy rich like meat, don't require a long digestive tract to process, so are a major reason why our digestive tracts are shorter than a herbivore or even a fruitivorous animal.

Our short digestive tract isn't in and of itself evidence that we should be eating meat or even entirely as a result of a history of eating meat, although it was obviously a factor.

We don't digest meat as efficiently as most other omnivores, because we've evolved to eat it as a suppliment, not a base upon which our entire diet is formed. We are designed to eat a starch and fruit based diet, combined with a fair amount of green plant matter. Whether or not it's supplemented with meat is optional, and not always necessary.

While nether a vegetarian nor an omnivorous diet is unnatural, a vegetarian diet(for most people) is more natural than a carnivorous or predominantly meat-based one. It comes down to a matter of ethnicity and genetics when you are talking about specifics.

I am vegan...... and have no opinion about meat being natural or unnatural....I don't care.... I am vegan because of how people treat animals in our society. I do have a problem with others eating meat in terms of my hating animals being tortured for people, but I know I cannot change people's behaviour; I guess you won't salute me :(

My answer to the more general question is that the Tibetan Buddhists eat meat (Eskimoes and Indians too), and they are among the most spiritual and respectful of life folks on the planet. Many have very robust health too. I suggest folks find their own meaningful spiritual path, and keep on truckin'!! And, I would remind you that people vary a lot in their metabolisms (in part, related to blood type)...in my clinical experience.

Source(s): Holistic Practitioner

Plant oils, proteins and fats.

We digest meat much more slowly, it does not mean we cannot do a half job of it. We also break down coal if left long enough time. Omnivore means a bring that can eat LOTS of things.

We don't die overnight, but it's common knowledge that meat eaters get much higher rates of disease, from breast and colon cancer to prostate cancer and heart disease. It's fact.

We also have the ability in inhale nicotine in cigarettes, and our lungs still absorb the smoke.

We've been smoking an beating women and keeping slaves as long as there has been human civilizations. Does this mean it's a good habit?

No. And as soon as we realise, through social and biological science that this is wrong,= eg, animals feel the same as us, they communicate in soundwaves beneath the sea, cows emote, women can think just as quickly as men, slaves are humans too, it's time to evolve in the same way and stop doing those thing you know ( that you didn't used to) cause pain and are a backward caveman way of thinking.

If you don't KNOW women are the same as men, then how can you begin to treat them the same. Now we know we're of the same intellectual capacoty, men and women, we do our lives acoordingly differently. But until very recently, people really did think women and men were different. that slaves were not human, that black and white people were different etc.

Just because this has been done for centuries does not mean it is a good thing once you discover the science behind it.

Furthermore, there have been vegan and vegetarian communities for milenia.

Source(s): VEgetarian and vegan communities- Hindus, Jain, Ahisma, these are COMMUNITIES which have been veg/an for a long long time. Thousands of years.
  • ?

Ironically enough, our bodies are far less adapted for the consumption of things like wheat/rye/barley grains than they are meat - especially the modern day Frankenstein GMO grains. That is why they are so unhealthy for us over time, and can cause so many digestive, auto-immune and other chronic health diseases.

I'm not the type of vegan who believes that. But can you improve your argument?

Protein, oil, and fat are also found in plant sources. (Beans, rice, peanuts, olives, nits, seeds.) And just because we eat something and don't get sick doesn't mean it's ok to eat, such as margarine, twinkies, processed sugar, fruit loops, etc

Source(s): I enjoy discourse

our intestines are longer because they want to absorb all the nutrients that it can get from veggies but an omnivorous intestinal track is short so they get protein from meat without absorbing the saturated fats our teeth are flattened and they grind side to side instead of just opening and shutting we have to chew our food lots before swallowing when carnivores chew 2-3 times or sometimes swallow whole there are so much more argument s too trust me, plus if we see a pig on the street we don't go hunt in with our bare hands, our instincts are even to pat it!