Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 7 years ago

Why do the days get longer in spring and summer and shorter in fall and winter?

I know it has something to do with the sun's amount of time facing earth but I don't know what it actually is and I am 27 and should know.

It is not because of the temperature on earth at given times of year is it? What causes it? I assumed the earlier it gets dark the sun is farther from earth and thus it is colder and the closer the hotter the earth gets and the days are logner.

Please explain

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The seasons are caused by the earths tilt, not by the distance to the sun. As the earth travels around the sun, it wobbles on its axis.

As the northern hemisphere tilts toward the sun, the days get longer. As you move north the days become longer and longer the farther north you go. Closer to the equator the difference in negligible. Near the poles the sun sometimes never sets. You've heard about Alaska being the land of the midnight sun? This is why.

The seasons in the southern hemisphere are reversed, with June, July and August being the winter months. Talk to someone in Australia to confirm this.

The days are colder in winter because the suns rays hit the earth in a more spread out manner, and the rays are more concentrated in the summer.

Think of the angle of rays hitting the planet, in winter the rays strike the earth in a more oblique angle and diffuse the heat.

The distance has nothing to do with the temp. As a matter of fact, the earth is closer to the sun in the winter.

• 4 years ago

The question, as stated, is ambiguous. Actually, days get longer in the spring and winter and shorter in the fall and summer. This is because the first day of winter (Dec 21 or 22) is the shortest day in the year, so days are getting longer through the winter and spring. Similarly, the longest day in the year (June 21) is the first day of summer, so days get shorter through summer and fall. This makes a good trick question: True or False, Days get longer in the summer and shorter in the winter? Answer: False, for the reason described above.

• 7 years ago

If you're in the northern hemisphere, the shortest day (least daylight hours) is on December 22nd. This is when the earth is tilted so that the southern hemisphere receives more sun and the northern hemisphere receives less. The 22nd of march is when the sun is right in the middle, the earth is rotating around the equator and on 22nd of June, the sun earth is tilted so that the sun is rotating around the northern hemisphere. That's why the arctic is completely dark in winter for about 5 months, and completely light in summer, for about 5 months - the other 2 months are when it is partially light because the sun is just below the horizon.

• 3 years ago

in case you're in the northern hemisphere, the shortest day (least daylight) is on December twenty second. that is whilst the earth is tilted so that the southern hemisphere gets extra solar and the northern hemisphere receives much less. The twenty second of march is whilst the sun is right inside the middle, the earth is rotating around the equator and on 22nd of June, the sun earth is tilted so that the sun is rotating across the northern hemisphere. it is why the arctic is completely dark in wintry weather for about 5 months, and absolutely light in summer season, for about 5 months - the opposite 2 months are when it's miles partially light because the sun is simply under the horizon.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

The Earth orbits the the Sun but it's axis is tilted so that one hemisphere gets more sunshine for half of year and less the other half.

• kolva
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i admire summer season because of the fact I play my heart out in COD 6 and God of warfare 2 Spring sucks because of the fact I additionally get hypersensitive reactions Fall is effective because of the fact no person likes to flow to college during the 1st month iciness is effective because of the fact of Christmas and snowball fights and video games too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.