Hob asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Why would anyone need a .45 ACP caliber bullet?

.45 caliber bullets have no use for hunting or sporting. You don't need a bullet bigger than a .38 special for reasonable defense.

USA will eventually arrive at this "common sense" regulation as Mexico has.

I thought the quotes around common sense would tip you guys off onto which side I'm on.

• niHil
    Favorite Answer

My 1911 won't shoot anything else, silly.

The .45 can simply fire a larger bullet at a high muzzle velocity and achieve good penetration. You could kill a violent intruder in your house at night with a bow or a spear or even a pellet gun- but when you push 230 grains into them and repeatedly, if needed, your likelihood of saving your wife and daughter from being raped and murdered is a lot better. If you want to be technical, there are three highly mass produced automatic pistol calibers larger than the .45 available, and numerous specialty calibers that are larger, not to mention rimmed cartridges. If I have no other choice than to squeeze the trigger on a hostile bad guy, I want to be sure that I can neutralize the threat as efficiently as possible. The 45 is definitely a defense round. The bad guys who commit acts of heinous gun violence almost always choose the smaller calibers of which so many more bullets can be put into the standard magazine.

Source(s): Law enforcement experience

I talked to my cousin about pistols and he is a veteran so I think he knows what he's talking about. He said you need a .40 cal minimum if you want to lay ppl down when you shoot them. He went on to tell me that a .9 mm wouldn't necessarily have the stopping power to put somebody down and they could continue to come at you. We didn't discuss .38's but I would assume this would work well. To my knowledge a .45 isn't that much bigger than .40 cal and the answer I would give to your question is for the stopping power. I appreciate your thumbs down and closed mindedness in advance.

Yes, a 25 mm gat is better.

Especially those military cannon that fire 100 rounds a second.

A 45 seems inadequate.

go back and read the history of why the .45 ACP was invented. then ask yourself if a home invader is as smart as the natives in the story.

Source(s): grampa
  • Q

lol Really? "Mexico"? :D That was the giveaway for me, not the quotes. Nevermind the fact that the 2nd amendment has absolutely NOTHING to do with hunting. It's about protecting yourself from the police, which is why I want an FN 5.7.

Similarly, we need to ban phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range. No one needs over 15 watts for hunting or home defense.

Why do I need a .45? Because they don't make a .46.

When somebody the size of Gronkowski breaks into your house and starts to grab your kid -- YOU are going to want .45 ACP.

No one really cares what you think they should own. America is still free, at least for the time being and we still have the second amendment, at least for the time being. Of course Obama is doing his very best to erode our freedoms and you libs are playing right along with him, you should be proud of yourselves.

Next time you hear something like this, you can inform your interlocutor that he is engaging in an irrelevant appeal logical fallacy. That should settle it.