How to find a publisher for my first book?What are the terms & conditions for royalty & payments?

I would appreciate if you can answer my question in a numbered format 1)How does a first-time author get his book published from a reputed publisher?Or first-timers have to reconcile with lesser-known publishers? 2)Is a first-time author paid royalty if his book sells well?Or is he given a lump-sum in the... show more I would appreciate if you can answer my question in a numbered format

1)How does a first-time author get his book published from a reputed publisher?Or first-timers have to reconcile with lesser-known publishers?

2)Is a first-time author paid royalty if his book sells well?Or is he given a lump-sum in the beginning?Is a lawyer involved in the agreement?

3)What is a bestseller?How much copies the book should sell to fetch a fortune for the author and the publisher?
Update: @Petruscl Can you kindly elaborate more about the "Proof Copy" aspect.That sounds very crucial.How exactly would you define proof copy and what should one do to make sure he can prove that he is the original author?