how to cope with a prem baby who has recurring illness?

I am curious to see if there is anyone who has had a premmie and their premmie has had recurring broncolitis with another virus, that requires frequent hospital visits? how have you coped and what have you done to try and prevent it?

My child is 19 and half months ( 17 and half corrected), he has had recurring broncolitis with RVS, Rhino and a few more respiratory viruses as well he is being admitted into hospital every two months, is on a preventer and ventilon with an asthma plan in place. He is attending daycare because it is helping with his delayed developmental milestones plus I am trying to work part time.

Has anyone being through similar situation and how did you best deal with the emotional rollacoaster and help prevent its frequency of hospital visits?

I have changed so many things, trying to find triggers but I feel everything I am doing is getting me no where.

thanks Srarah yes I meant premature, he is admitted in every two months for recurring broncoltitis most times take by ambulance because of how quick he can turn one minute playing next minute his saturated oxygen is dropping and same with his respiratory rates, he is normally rushed in from triage and put straight onto oxygen, he is on ventilon some days he has to have in more than others. The hospital specialist has said because of his undeveloped lungs as a result of being premature that any viruses will go straight to his lungs resulting in us being admitted into hospital every two months. He is seeing a physio due to being behind on walking and crawling he has low muscle tone in his legs, but with physio and daycare he is catching up quickly.

My reason for posting is I would love to know what other parent who may have been in a similar situation would do, I feel that I should leave work, take him out of day care until he can build better immunity to viruses but then I feel if I b

• Lizzy
    Favorite Answer

My daughter wasn't premie, she was born at 38 weeks but I know how you feel !

Firstly when she was born she wasn't breathing and was taken straight away to be resuscitated. I didn't see her for 20 minutes after she was born. When they brought her back to me it was for 2-3 mins for a cuddle and then she was taken to neonatal care.

After two days she was allowed home

We were home for 3 days when we went back for a check up and the consultant took one look at her and immediately sent us to intensive care at the near by children's hospital due to her jaundice. Her levels were at blood transfusion levels and she was also treated with drips and needed extra oxygen. For 7 days we were in hospital over Christmas last year and I was only allowed to hold her when I breastfed her and then she immediately had to go back in her special incubator

We were home for two days again when all these little spots appeared and the doctor sent us straight back to the hospital. She had a liver scan and was diagnosed with diffuse infantil haemangiomas. Basically she had about 300 little birth marks all over her body, in her eyes, ears, mouth, liver, everywhere. She was given beta blocker medication under the care of plastic surgery on a cardiology ward so again that meant two nights in hospital

At 8 weeks she developed bronchitis and by 9 weeks it turned to RSV bronchiolitis. Again this needed intensive care, breathing tubes and at one point resuscitation again! After 9 days we eventually came home

She has regular check ups for her spots which are fading with the medication but very time she gets a cold it goes to her chest. The last chest infection lasted 3 weeks. We are "lucky" that we live ten minutes away from one of the best children's hospitals in the world so if we ever need to go to Alder Hey we can be there within minutes

My daughters chest will always be bad, we've been told that and at 13 months we can see for ourselves this to be the case. We've got inhalers to use if she is ever really chesty and we've been told she will likely develop asthma

However she's a tough little cookie and has taught me and her dad that no matter how small they are they are fighters. I've had the best moments of my life with her and the worst moment of my life with her. I'd have done anything to have swapped places but babies are stronger than they look

As long as you keep things clean and have a healthy lifestyle there's not much else you can do. There are plenty of cold and flu virus's that can't be stopped but you can't bubble wrap them forever

xxx

i'm under the impact that they base untimely toddlers on the dimensions of two months or regardless of the incontrovertible fact that plenty they have been born early at the back of... to get a reliable theory of the place they are meant to be. So say in the journey that your baby is a million 3 hundred and sixty 5 days previous.. they base her improve skills and what no longer off of a 11 month previous toddler (if she become born 2 months early). i'm constructive nevertheless there's a definite factor the place it is no longer appropriate anymore.

• Sarah

Bronchitis is an illness, failing to breathe properly.

i am sure you would like to keep close eye on your little boy because it is always good to know that he is doing well, hospitals need to do the same. the hospital and or a regular GP would like to monitor your little boy closely due to his age also.

because bronchitis effects the lung capacity it would be fairly reasonable that the child doesn't do heavy activities or be around smokers, i am sure because he has bronchitis he has to take inhalers daily ?

I assume you mean premature baby ?

Premature hasn't got anything to do with it really, my baby was premature weighing 4lbs, 5 week early and she was breathing with no tubes etc and also feeding with out tubes.. so it isn't all premature babies, she also shot up, she is a lot bigger than most of the children her age, and she isn't behind at all she is advanced for her age, at 1 year old, she could count, spell her name, knew all her colours, she knew a hell of a lot and that was down to me teaching her.. she is now 3 yrs old and she can add using numbers and everything,, because i took the time to teach her.. so premature babies are not as behind as people make out, my child is out standing at her day nursery.

i don't think you need to worry about that much as a child's brain is like a sponge if you sit down and teach them and make it fun to learn they will be happy to sit and learn.

as for the bronchitis, i think it is in the best of interest that your son does visit the hospital, even if you think it isn't needed, it is good for the medics to know his recent status etc.

and i can honestly say i wouldn't know how it feels but i do know that if my child had bronchitis i would most probably be at my wits end wondering if my child was ok while i was at work,, isn't there anyway you can look after him at home and you know for your self then, i know you work but would your husband or person you are with support you and child?

if you are at home with him then, you not only can keep an eye on things you can teach him a lot too, as well as having free time to take your son to visit the hospital when needed .