Anthony asked in PetsCats · 7 years ago

Is something wrong with my cat?

My cat is really fat and over weight. Like really fat. She's around 8 years old. I just noticed that when igo to pet the side of her stomach(not the bottom) she goes to bite me. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with her. Please help.

Favorite Answer

My first suggestion is for you to take the cat to the vet to rule out any medical condition for her excessive weight. The vet most likely do blood work to check for diabetes and thyroid and other conditions that cause weight gain. If the vet gives her a clean bill of health, you may want to consider feeding a premium quality food like Nutro Natural Choice dry and also canned food. Feeding a mixed diet can help your cat reduce weight. I'm a pet nutrition specialist with Nutro and have been feeding it to my furry kids for over 25 years and it's always worked great. Good luck and hope this helps.

Mix it up for Better Cat Health

hile some cat owners swear by wet food, others insist dry is best. According to The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, both sides have merit. In fact, research from The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition shows that mixing wet and dry cat food together might benefit your cat in more ways than one.

The Benefits of Mixed Feeding

Urinary Tract Health - When you feed your cat wet food, it increases your cat's water intake, resulting in more urine production. The higher water volume dilutes the urine while increasing the frequency of urination - both of which can help minimize the formation of mineral crystals or urinary stones, supporting good urinary tract health.

Weight Management - Studies from The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition have shown that when cats are fed a high-moisture diet, they eat less food, decrease weight and increase activity levels compared to cats fed only a dry cat food diet.

Healthy Metabolism - Wet food provides a healthy balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, helps satisfy a cat's instinctive feeding behavior and helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

Eating Enjoyment - When given a choice, cats prefer to eat a mixture of both wet and dry foods compared to dry only. Wet food is shown to increase enjoyment, whereas dry food satisfies the desire to eat many small meals throughout the day.

Oral Health - The crunchy texture of dry food helps keep teeth clean by scraping away plaque and tartar.

A Recommended Mixed Feeding Program

While each cat is different, studies from The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition show that a mixed feeding program is beneficial for both weight management and urinary tract health. For weight management, at least 25% of the total calories (or about 1/3 of the total volume) of daily food intake should be wet food. If urinary tract health is the goal, then wet food should make up about 70% of the total calories (or at least 3/4 of the daily volume). Consult your veterinarian for advice about the best food for your cat.

Source(s): Owner of four cats or do they own me?

There are a ton of health problems an overweight cat can have. Take it to the vet and see what they say. Then ask the vets about diets for your cat. A chubby cat is cute but it can lead to many health problems. I used to have an overweight cat. He was the best but he had asthma and developed a heart condition and then had a stroke on our stairs and later died.

the answer above is good, but also, if you've had her fixed, they tend to have a little bit of a fat looking appearance, but I don't know what to tell you unless she's pregnant.

has she been taken to the vets and had her womb removed? she might be getting over protective because shes pregnant or something.