Seniors, do you use energy saving light bulbs and, if so, do you turn them on and off?

just as you would have done with the older type or do you follow the advice often given and leave them on? We are told that the most electricity is used in switching them on and that it's wasteful to turn them off and on again later. Maybe I'm a bit slow on this one but, surely, leaving a light on for... show more just as you would have done with the older type or do you follow the advice often given and leave them on? We are told that the most electricity is used in switching them on and that it's wasteful to turn them off and on again later.

Maybe I'm a bit slow on this one but, surely, leaving a light on for long periods cannot be cost effective. If it uses one fifth the electricity of the older bulb equivalent but we leave it on for 5 (or more) times as long, where is the saving in energy?

If I'm missing something would someone please explain it to me.
Update: So far, so good. We all seem of the opinion that it's O.K. to turn them on and off as needed. However, I disagree about the full kettle. It is certainly quicker to bring to the boil water which is already warm BUT that's not the point You have already paid once to bring it to boiling point, allowed it... show more So far, so good. We all seem of the opinion that it's O.K. to turn them on and off as needed. However, I disagree about the full kettle. It is certainly quicker to bring to the boil water which is already warm BUT that's not the point You have already paid once to bring it to boiling point, allowed it to cool somewhat and then pay AGAIN to bring it back to boiling. It is far cheaper to just put in the kettle the number of cups/mugs of water required and make the drinks. The kettle should then be empty ready for the next round.

Also you have to wait longer before being able to make the first drinks because you have to wait for the full kettle to boil rather than waiting for one or two cupfuls to boil.