Can boys and girls share bedrooms?

Hi,

We have 2 little ones that are 11 months apart, a boy and a girl. Heard recently that at a certain age it becomes illegal for them to share sleeping quarters. Is this true? At what age do we have to separate them? And does it make a difference that they are half brother and sister?

Best Answer

Most states have a law on the age limits of when a boy and a girl can share a bedroom.

Most of the time, they can share a bedroom together until like age 5-8.

But I think that this law is silly.

• Liz

I have never head it is illegal. What about families that can't afford more than one bedroom? That's rediculous. I have three kids and 4 bedrooms. My son at age 3 told me he wanted to move into his sisters room with her. I agreed because there was no harm in it. My daughter decided at age 11 that she wanted her own room again. I moved them back then. At some point the kids will start complaining, or needing privacy. You will know when it is time!

I can't imagine it's illegal - that would not only be ridiculous but unenforceable.

I shared a room with my brothers (1 older, 1 younger) until I started getting self-conscious - I remember when I was about 7 or 8 trying to change without being seen. That was when my parents re-jigged things so I got my own room. I used to love sharing a room - it was a laugh.

Yes, it's legal for them to share a bedroom.

I had a friend in high school who had a younger brother. They slept in the same room because their parents had a small house. One day her parents were like… look, we're thinking of moving houses so you guys can have a bedroom of your own. They objected, and said that they didn't want separate bedrooms.

Odd, huh? They were about 5 years apart in age too.

And especially with younger kids, I think it's fine.

• Isaiah

It's not illegal for them to share a room. I think that before puberty starts it's best for them to have separate rooms, but if that's not possible, it's not possible.

Source(s): my opinion
  • Ista

Growing up, I had a friend who lived in a 2 bedroom house with her grandmother, her mother, her older brother, and her younger sister.

Mom and grandma shared a room. The 3 kids shared a room. Both rooms were small. They had barely managed to squeeze 2 sets of bunk beds into the kids rooms.

After everyone grew up and moved out, it was learned that the older brother molested and raped his youngest sister from about 10 yrs old until he moved out. The middle sister heard everything, but said nothing, as she assumed it was consensual, and blamed little sis for it.

Pretty messed up. I would not put children of the opposite sex in the same room past about age 3. It's just an invitation for something bad to happen.

Edit: Thumbs down all you want. Let me tell you, "Show me yours, and I'll show you mine" starts earlier than you think. And what sometimes follows isn't all that pretty. I used to teach preschool, we had a playhouse in the playground, someone always had to stand guard over it, as the 3-5 yr olds would go inside, and show and touch each others privates if not watched.

• ?

It's not illegal. Some people can't afford separate rooms. Most people consider it okay for them to share rooms at least until puberty.

Nope....it's not illegal and it doesn't matter. My eldest two are 3 years apart and for a year after my eldest son was born we could not afford to move out of our two bedroom so he shared with his big sister. It doesn't matter.

• ?

where i live it isnt legal past a certain age, though im not exactly sure what age that is i believe its when one or both of the kids reach school age

if they are not part of the foster care system and you are not in public housing, it is entirely up to you.

pre-puberty, it makes not the slightest bit of difference. post-puberty (where i assume you aren't yet, as you say "little ones"), i'd figure out an arrangement that allows them to be separate.