What will happen if Obama passes another assault weapons ban?

I currently own a Norinco pre-ban AK-47 with all matching serials and a bunch of 30 rd magazines. If this bill passes will I be able to keep these since I got them before the ban or will I have to get rid of them?

@Noah

Thats really f*cked up. I got my AK from a private sale, so I don't think I'll have the ATF knocking on my door. I also got my mags from a gun show so again, I think I'll be good.

Best Answer

Just keep it. Don't give up your guns.

You'll be fine. Because of the ex post facto rule, Congress can't make laws that are retroactive. Since this is a new law, there will be a new starting date.

Remember, the Republicans still control the House, and the bill will not be as restrictive as some Democrats wish.

But because of the tremendous public outcry, many Republicans will vote for some sort of ban or heavy regulations.

Depends The old 1994 ban if you owned a so called "assault weapon" it would be grandfathered and you could keep but you could not sell it, but if Dianne Fienstein's ban was used you could keep it put had to pay a 200 dollar tax to the ATF every year and register it. But all in all i doubt an "Assault weapon ban will be passed, all we can do is hope. Haha yeah i know they won't come knocking but it would be law to do so. and i wouldn't either but if you're caught with an unregistered firearm you will be arrested for an illegal gun and tax evasion.

Well congress are the only ones that can pass a law, the president can only purpose or suggest it. If congress passed the purposed Assault Weapons Ban then you can still keep them.