Convert text to number in excel 2010?
Please help, I imported data to excel and the cells that I want to sum are recognized as text. I did the following, all of which did not work:
1. I formatted these cells to General which did nothing, then formatted to Number which also didn't make a difference.
2. I entered the number 1 in another cell, then copied and pasted as special... Add in the text cells.
3. I converted text to number with the value function.
I trust that you will provide me with a solution that will put a :) on my face.
I tried "Multiply" - this also does not work
- expletive_xomLv 78 years agoFavorite Answer
theres a couple more things you can try.
- F2 or doubleclick to get into a "text" cell...
- arrow (keyboard arrow keys) around, and make sure theres no extra or hidden characters that you just cant see..
- if there is, select the character with your mouse (or ctrl-arrow) then Ctrl C and make a copy of the character.....
- then do a find&replace to get rid of the character.
- in the find box....paste your character
- leave the replace box blank
if you dont have any special characters, and it truly is numbers showing as "text" then try a quick "text-to-columns" (you should probably copy your column of "text" to a blank sheet to test this)
- select the column of "Text"
- click Data (at the top of the ribbon)
- click Text to Columns (large icon near the middle)
- click next
- click next
- make sure General is selected
- click finish
do either of those help?
- IXL@XLLv 78 years ago
Try entering 1 in a cell, copy then select offending cells then Paste Special MULTIPLY not Add
- zamoroLv 44 years ago
The pivot desk recounted prior is go however while you wish to have a few sheets- simply kind your customary understanding by way of nation then cut and paste one nation at a time into a brand new sheet