Convert text to number in excel 2010?

Please help, I imported data to excel and the cells that I want to sum are recognized as text. I did the following, all of which did not work:

1. I formatted these cells to General which did nothing, then formatted to Number which also didn't make a difference.

2. I entered the number 1 in another cell, then copied and pasted as special... Add in the text cells.

3. I converted text to number with the value function.

I trust that you will provide me with a solution that will put a :) on my face.

Thanks

I tried "Multiply" - this also does not work

Favorite Answer

theres a couple more things you can try.

- F2 or doubleclick to get into a "text" cell...

- arrow (keyboard arrow keys) around, and make sure theres no extra or hidden characters that you just cant see..

- if there is, select the character with your mouse (or ctrl-arrow) then Ctrl C and make a copy of the character.....

- then do a find&replace to get rid of the character.

- in the find box....paste your character

- leave the replace box blank

if you dont have any special characters, and it truly is numbers showing as "text" then try a quick "text-to-columns" (you should probably copy your column of "text" to a blank sheet to test this)

- select the column of "Text"

- click Data (at the top of the ribbon)

- click Text to Columns (large icon near the middle)

- click next

- click next

- make sure General is selected

- click finish

do either of those help?

Excel 2010 Convert Text To Number

• IXL@XL

Try entering 1 in a cell, copy then select offending cells then Paste Special MULTIPLY not Add

• zamoro

The pivot desk recounted prior is go however while you wish to have a few sheets- simply kind your customary understanding by way of nation then cut and paste one nation at a time into a brand new sheet