Question for Church of the Latter Day Saints, Mormons!?

This is a honest question to an encounter I had with two Mormons that knocked on my door. I will always be kind to anyone that wants to talk to me about their religion, so as one of Jehovah's witnesses I had a good chat with you guys and listened as well as asked questions. But I am still perplexed at the way... show more This is a honest question to an encounter I had with two Mormons that knocked on my door.
I will always be kind to anyone that wants to talk to me about their religion, so as one of Jehovah's witnesses I had a good chat with you guys and listened as well as asked questions. But I am still perplexed at the way the conversation went when I bought up the subject of WAR!

I am in the UK, and the 2 Mormons were from the USA

This is how it went:

Me: If you converted me today and then went back to the USA after you had done your 2 year stint, then the US and the UK went to war over something, you would be prepared to put on a uniform and come back to the UK and kill me the person you just converted, the one you call "brother" and shoot me if your government asked you too?

Mormon: Well it says in the Bible that we must "obey the secular authorities". (which is correct)

Me: Yes that is correct, but let me ask you another question, "what if the secular authorities" said
"you must drink tea and coffee"

Mormon: No, we would not do that!

Me: Do you not think that they got it a bit back to front, killing a brother in the faith because the secular authorities say so, but disobeying the same authorities if they told you to drink tea and coffee because it goes against you belief?

They were a bit stumped for words and could not really answer that!

I am not trying to be argumentative here, but just wanted to see what you thought of this!

There is a article about a guy that was raised as a Mormon and had the same issue, see:
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazi...

Regards
Update: @ Craig O........I did not say that they were Kids. So are Mormons saying that the church teaches that it is a matter of conscience ? I did not seem to get a conclusive answer!

Regards
Update 2: @ rac....... I can's see that happening today on a battler field, I mean what do you do have some way to identify those that are Mormon ? I am sorry but I can't see that happening these days, so you could end up killing someone you are related to in the faith, Mmmmmm........!