taxing drivers by the mile you drive?

Now the federal government's top accountant has told Congress it should experiment with taxing drivers by the mile to make up billions of dollars in shortfalls.

The GAO told Congress this week it should allow a similar test on electric vehicles and commercial trucks, and estimated that a pay-by-the-mile tax of 0.9 cents to 2.2 cents per mile designed to replace fuel taxes would raise a typical driver's costs from $98 to between $108 to $248.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/why-america...

Options for collecting mileage include annual odometer readings, smartphone apps and equipping cars with GPS devices that would track miles driven. But the prospect of tracking drivers by GPS is likely to raise protests from those concerned about privacy issues.

If they are thinking about charging per mile to drive to pay for roads, does that mean eventually they will charge a person for every step they take if they dont driive, to pay for the side walks? maybe start charging people to breathe, to pay for the repairing of the O-Zone. You know your Country is in trouble when politicians come up with more stupid reasons to tax..when are they going to get a clue, that it doesnt matter how much they tax us, even if its 100percent..it still wouldnt pull us out of debt.

What else can this White House do to hurt the poor and middle class in this country? So if you drive to work, you will be taxed. Wonder if Obama or Congress will pay this tax or are they excluded, like every thing else they do to us.

let's hike gas up to $10 a gallon while we're at it.

Favorite Answer

In order to do this, Obama will be putting tracking devices in all our cars. Are you surprised?

Neat idea--sort of. The US Government is sort of schizophrenic. They want us to drive smaller and smaller cars. So we do. Then the government sees a shortfall in revenue, so they tax cigarettes to make up for it-- including the wasted funds. Just sayin' people cut back or give up smoking, which was the intent. How noble, but now less money comes in. What do do? Tax soft drinks and snacks. That's a no-go. Lets promote driving alternative-fueled cars. Again, loss of revenue from gas taxes, which are sometimes numerous.

We do what the government wants and we still get taxed, I. e.. punished. When does it stop?

Now, if this eliminated 100% of the taxes on gasoline (and gas producing companies) and allowed gas to get back down to $1.50 or less a gallon, I'd consider it. And I drive a gas guzzling V8...but I've only put roughly 46,000 miles on it in 7 years. At $0.022/mile, that would cost me $144/year. Meanwhile, I'd save about $500 a year on gas. The funny thing is, with gas taxes where they currently are, I'm paying about $0.75/mile to drive.

• Mark

Šöúnds like another taxation with-out representation rule Tö Mé. Letjs create more taxes than already exist. they get boat loads of cash from the tols alone! Ever drive in NY or NJ?

Source(s): Sounds like a dangerous rule. don't like Ït Æ
  • Jim B

Seems your Obama is full of Solutions to raise taxes on everyone

Democrat Politicians have thousands of Lawyers working to figure out ways to get Our Paychecks.

Democrats want EVERYTHING.

NONE of the governments business how many miles you drive a year...

• Pasune

My Grandfather always said that someday they would start taxing you for the air you breathe.

Ever heard of a gasoline tax?

The more miles you drive, the more gas you use, the more tax you pay.

But thanks for your heartfelt concern.

I think it's called a toll road.