About the timeline for Texas Chainsaw 3D?

Can someone explain when the original was supposed to occur in regard to this new film? The new film obvious occurs in the year 2012 because of the phones and music played but the original was from 1974 yet the main female lead Heather is supposed to have been a baby in the events seen taking place in the year of the originals events and this seems impossible since this would make her in her late 30's and the character seen doesn't look any older than possibly her mid 20's at best. Is this just a big screw up or is there something i missed?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Tony R
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes you are right, The beginning of the movie does show us the day or 2 after the ending of the original 1974 movie. Wikipedia even says the beginning of TC 3d is taking place in 1974. You are also right in the fact that the rest of the movie looks present day with the cell phone technology. So that makes it almost 40 years later, after the baby that is taken from the scene in 1974 who grows up to be Heather the main character. So that is why you see no reference to the present day year. They go out of their way NOT to say it is like 2009 or 2012 or whatever. Because of the time span. They just say "present day".

They probably just wanted the main character to be early 20 something to make it more appealing to the younger audience. So they just sort of gloss over the fact that 40 years have passed. So yes it is incorrect, but that didn't really bother me. I realized this also, but just didn't get to wrapped up in this fact. It was still a fun slasher movie. Others have pointed this out like you in reviews of the movie.

• 6 years ago

Mark G is incorrect, I'm not sure if he saw the movies because Chainsaw 3D is CLEARLY a direct sequel to the original. Now on to the original question. The movie DOES NOT say specifically when the original movie takes place. Yes in the original canon the movies is set in 1974 in the beginning. But this movie establishes a completely separate canon. When Heather is walking through the family graveyard you'll notice that the death dates of the Sawyer family who died in the prologue (i.e. the original movie) are covered up by grass so as to not let you know exactly when the original took place. This was deliberate, part of the new timeline they have created. So to establish the timeline one must work backwards. The movie takes place in 2012. Heather (if you go by the age of the actress when she played the role) is 26 or 27. Going backwards tells you the events of the original take place in 1985-1986. I can't stress this enough, do not go by the timeline of the original canon, this is not part of it. It simply takes the original movie and makes its own timeline.

• Mark G
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

This movie follows The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) not The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), it is part of the reboot series, not the original. Which would mean it also follows The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006), which is not connected to the original series in any way.

• 5 years ago

it depends...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.