Lauren
Lauren asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 years ago

Trying to eat healthy but it's making me constipated....?

I want to eat alot of leafy greens, whole grain, etc but after one meal of kale and whole wheat pasta, I am very constipated. Should I just keep eating this way but maybe drink more water? How can I fix this constipation/gas?

I do mean constipation....it was hard for me to push my stool out, and it was very hard and dark colored.

Favorite Answer

You are eating a lot of foods with fiber so you need to drink a lot of water with them.

That may be your problem with the constipation and gas.

Greens can result in gas if your gut flora is deficient. Read this newsletter to come to a better understanding (I don't endorse the products advertised, but the general knowledge is correct):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B6JbDMF1hDCpFM...

Some people are allergic to pesticides used in grain, or they develop allergic reactions to whole wheat or wheat in general because of the pesticide residue that results in what appears to be constipation but is actually swelling of the intestines. I personally had a blockage from such swelling from pesticides on lettuce that was so bad that I was admitted to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy, because the symptoms were similar.

I grow my own grain and do not use pesticides and I do not experience symptoms. That's why I believe it is the pesticides that result in the symptoms. It might also be caused by genetically modified wheat.

I think you may be using the word constipated when you mean bloated feeling. Constipation generally is when the poop is too hard to pass, whereas eating soluble fiber present in whole grains and greens tends to make it softer and easier to pass. Try taking Beano to eliminate the gas problem and that should also eliminate the bloated feeling.

There might have been residual undigested food that is blocking up the faster digesting food. Thus, while that digests, it causes gas. It could take four days of continual good eating to clear out. Here is my suggestion, no more whole grain unless you actually make it. That would be bulgur wheat, all wheat homemade bread, barley and kasha, as examples. Eat beans, nuts and seeds. Add metamucil. You can get soluble fiber for water or to sprinkle on your food. Ask at the pharmacy. While there, get glycerin suppositories and a two pack of Fleet enema or generic. Drink lots of water and move. No cheese, no meat, no full fat dairy, no pizza, no bread, rolls, crackers nor salty food or anything from packages. After a few days, you should become regular, very much so. If you revert to older habits, the problem will return. In any case, have lots of water. Warn your family. If you have more questions, call the doctor. Avoid stress. Regardless of any diagnosis eventually, keep eating in a healthy manner. Your body needs to build up the bacteria to break down items which are unfamiliar. You might need to introduce new foods more slowly, rather than an all or nothing approach.

Source(s): Svetcov, Danielle: The Unconstipated Gourmet Watson, Brenda: Fiber35 Diet Plan (both are library books) Dr. Gabe Mirkin, suggestions for plant foods, what to eat and what to avoid, books and website American Heart Association, Dash Diet

eat lots of fruits, and drink lots of water