Why do people want democracy when its doesn't work?

the more you tell the truth the more people hate you. the only way to make people follow you is to lie. democracy is a political system of lies. it encourages people to live in a little fantasy world of their own choosing. unlike a dictatorship which forces you to live in a fantasy world of someone else's... show more the more you tell the truth the more people hate you. the only way to make people follow you is to lie.

democracy is a political system of lies. it encourages people to live in a little fantasy world of their own choosing. unlike a dictatorship which forces you to live in a fantasy world of someone else's choosing.

obviously the best system of government is to have an enlightened dictator. of course you wouldn't be happy because you would be forced to face reality. but eventually people would evolve to accept reality. and isn't that better in the long run?
Update: no dude, thats with normal dictators. you need an enlightened dictator, like the dali llama.
Update 2: discover, before the chinese took over tibet wise men would search the whole country for the next dalai lama (i spelled it dali llma as joke, haha). they pick the next dalai lama as a child and they train him to be the next leader. its hard for westerners to understand because we've never had a system where... show more discover, before the chinese took over tibet wise men would search the whole country for the next dalai lama (i spelled it dali llma as joke, haha). they pick the next dalai lama as a child and they train him to be the next leader. its hard for westerners to understand because we've never had a system where people don't seek power for their personal pleasure.
Update 3: fur, i think having a direct democracy would make it even worse. and the definition of democracy is not a system of lies. what i'm saying is that it creates a system of lies.

i like anarchy, but no one has made it work yet...
Update 4: drocki, i think all those freedom fries are affecting your typing haha. yea, i heard that tibet had slavery until the chinese took over. part of me wonders if that is just chinese propaganda to justify taking the country, but there is no way to know. its doesn't really take away from the idea though. we had... show more drocki, i think all those freedom fries are affecting your typing haha.

yea, i heard that tibet had slavery until the chinese took over. part of me wonders if that is just chinese propaganda to justify taking the country, but there is no way to know. its doesn't really take away from the idea though. we had slavery in the united states. the greeks had slavery too. you wouldn't dismiss democracy just because we had slavery at one time.

the athenians had direct democracy and had they the same problems that we do. it wouldn't help the situation.

have you heard of bhutan? we judge a country by economic standards (GPD), but they judge the value of their country by how happy the people are. so in our eyes they are poor, but in their eyes they are rich.
Update 5: bigcherry, athens had a direct democracy and they failed. they had exactly the same problems that we do. they rich would convince everyone to fight wars that were in their best interest but not in the interest of the country and it eventually led to their downfall. america has the same problems. and this is... show more bigcherry, athens had a direct democracy and they failed. they had exactly the same problems that we do. they rich would convince everyone to fight wars that were in their best interest but not in the interest of the country and it eventually led to their downfall. america has the same problems. and this is just one way that we are similar to athens. there are more.
Update 6: katie, thats true, but its a catch 22. people will never vote for a better education system because the rich will always convince the poor that they need to spend that money on things like the military. the wealthy profit from the wars and military spending which ensures that their children are always educated. ... show more katie, thats true, but its a catch 22. people will never vote for a better education system because the rich will always convince the poor that they need to spend that money on things like the military. the wealthy profit from the wars and military spending which ensures that their children are always educated. if they allowed the poor to be educated then they would lose their money and power. then when people like me say the truth they say its a conspiracy theory and call me an enemy of the states. then i go to jail or i am killed.

all you guys talking about direct democracy, look up socrates. he tried to keep athens from ruining itself and they didn't listen. so after they lost their power they blamed him and then they killed him! direct democracy is horrible!
Update 7: zaphod, someone pissed in your mom.

you ask for facts but you provide none. you misunderstand, and they talk about being clever. you don't even do the most basic of research, and yet you pretend to know what you are talking about.
Update 8: T, at least you admit you have nothing to add without being like zaphod. congrats.
Update 9: drocki, so far you make the most convincing argument. and actually, i just thought of something which ruins my whole theory. fidel castro is the enlightened dictator. all cubans have health care and high degree of education. no one starves. but in order to maintain his system he has to control the economy so... show more drocki, so far you make the most convincing argument.

and actually, i just thought of something which ruins my whole theory. fidel castro is the enlightened dictator. all cubans have health care and high degree of education. no one starves.

but in order to maintain his system he has to control the economy so much that there is no prosperity. he also has to control information so much that there is no freedom. and even though people are are better off than before castro, they would rather live in the united states (overall, not everyone).

of course there is the embargo. so its possible that it would succeed economically if the embargo was lifted. but the failure of the soviet union make me think otherwise.
Update 10: T, i see you changed your answer. but its still not an answer, you are only asking questions.
10 answers 10