Is it okay to refill a soda at a fast food place (self serve fountain) or is it dishonest?

How does everyone feel about refilling drinks at fast food places? I'm talking about the places where they give you an empty cup at the counter and the fountain is on the customer side. There's been a discussion other places about if it's dishonest to refill a small size drink several times as opposed... show more How does everyone feel about refilling drinks at fast food places? I'm talking about the places where they give you an empty cup at the counter and the fountain is on the customer side. There's been a discussion other places about if it's dishonest to refill a small size drink several times as opposed to ordering a large size. We were also wondering if it was wrong to refill one to take with you as opposed to consuming it in the restaurant.

The question assumes the fountain machine is on the customer side and no sign is posted. We all know it's dishonest to ask for a water cup then fill it with soda, but I've never seen anything said or done about it.