How to transfer OEM Windows 8 onto an SSD?

I know that there are questions already asking this, but I really want to make sure I do this right. I don't want to risk losing my OS and having to buy a new one.

I bought a fairly high end ASUS laptop the other day to go along with my gaming desktop. It's about as high end you can go before you go into gaming laptops, which I don't need. Basically, all the specs are great except for the 5200rpm hard drive. I decided to drop another $200 and get a 256gb SSD.

How should I get the version of Windows 8 that I have on my current hard drive onto the SSD? I don't care about the data, the computer is new enough that I don't have anything important on it. I used a program to recover the key of the OS, and I have a friend that is going to let me borrow their Windows 8 install CD.

My only fear is that Microsoft will think that I have installed their software on 2 machines, and I will run into issues. I know something like this happened to a friend with Windows 7, where they had 2 months (or something like that) with the software, and then the OS locked down his machine and would only let him use 1gb of RAM, half of his processor power, etc.

So... How do I get around that? Is there anything that I even need to get around? I don't really understand OEM, so maybe someone could explain it for me? And before you send me to Google, I DID in fact try and do the research myself, but there was contradictory information and once again, I don't want to risk losing my OS.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help. Once I remove the HDD current with WIndows 8 installed I'm going to wipe the drive and put it in my desktop. The SSD is going back into the laptop with the same version of Windows 8, with the same CD key. It seems based on what you guys have said that I won't run into any trouble.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

It's unclear whether you plan on still using your existing computer. You're not supposed to run the same installation (meaning the same registration code) of Windows on more than one computer. I have no idea how often Windows 8 phones home but at some point if both computers are online at once they'll probably notice. But if you plan on retiring the old system Microsoft won't be able to tell that you didn't just do a clean install back onto your old computer.

If you don't care about any of the data it's just a straightforward clean install. Just run the installer and tell it to do a clean install onto your SSD, and then modify your BIOS to boot off the SSD instead of the hard drive.

As long as your registration code is valid (and the programs that try to pull the code out of the registry don't always work - where is your authentic Microsoft hologrammed proof of purchase? It's usually stuck to the restore disc if it came OEM, with the computer. Or there could be a tiny sticker on the back of the computer. Just make sure the code is what you think it is before you throw your old computer into the lake.

• Tech P

first you need to get the cd that came with the computer or get the one that has the correct version.

for ex: if it has windows 8 home you have to get the disk that says windows 8 home. when you have that just install the oem windows 8 and as long as its on the same computer you should not have any problems. i have all ready done this with a laptop and it works.